Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sitar Simulator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Feb 26, 2006.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Can someoe sugguest a good one? I'm looking to go for something that resembles the wonderfly eastern sound on Dream Theater's "Home". Plus I'm a sucker for exotic sounds.

2. MickeyMickey

MickeyMickey

Dec 17, 2005
    I've only ever heard of one Sitar Simulator and it's made by Danelectro. It's more of a guitar effect. It gets pretty horrible reviews on Harmony Central, mainly because it doesn't sound anything close to a sitar. I believe the effect itself is just a combination of a modulation, delay, and pitch shifting. As a result, the pedal just sounds more like a guitar with all those effects as opposed to a sitar.

You're not going to be able to get a good sitar sound from a pedal. The sitar may be a string instrument but it's extremely different from either guitar or bass. It is way beyond the capability of a electric circuit in a pedal to create a sitar tone with a guitar as a source tone.

Also, in Dream Theater's Home, I believe that the sitar sound in that song is an actual sitar. It's been a long time since I heard that song, but knowing Dream Theater and John Petrucci, I'm guessing Petrucci just learned how to play sitar and played those parts himself.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Actually the Sitar on "Home" was played be Jordan on the keyboards. There is another sitar simulator out there,but the name of it eludes me at the moment. It looked like of of those boutique pedals,hand painted and all that. I wouldn't mind trying one myself.

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I just did a search and the pedal I was thinking about was the Danelectro. NEVERMIND!

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I'd be REALLY interested in this if someone finds one.

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    I used to wn a danelectro sitar simuletor...... it sucked.

If you want to try it yourself go ahead, but im sure youll be disapointed....

The best result i have in simulating drowning indian music is with my Korg AX1B. It has an effect called DROWN, which adds a drowning to your sound, and you can choose the pitch of the drown regarding what you ar playing (how many semitones from what you are playing). You can add a delay also and sounds really interesting. Dont know if the new Korg units have the simulator, but they may have it.

Sitar is unique and a synth wont do the job, never had experience though with those guitar-sitar (electric sitar).

7. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    Like others have said, the Sitar Swami is a complete joke if you're actually trying to emulate a sitar. Maybe if you're high and have never actually heard a sitar before, but otherwise, no.

That said, I did once run a 12 string bass through a Sitar Swami, Unibass, Deep Impact, and a Digitech PDS-1550 simultaneously. I'm not even going to try to describe what that sounded like. But then again, I do like noise jam / space rock kind of stuff.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Try this: bass--> fuzz--> flanger--> delay
    Then blend that with your clean signal, around 20% wet / 80% clean. It won't sound like a sitar per se, but it will give you a nice psychedelic swirly drone.

9. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Since it seems several people have tried the Sitar Swami... Anyone have some soundclips? Everything I've heard about it says it sounds really awful, I'd like to hear it myself though. Maybe something decent could be gotten from it...

Then again, probably not. But all the same, I'm like to hear it (and I haven't ever seen any in stores around here).

-Dash

10. Mooooooo

Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    I read somewhere that you can do it with EHX POG.

11. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i also remember seeing a boutique sitar simulator that seemed a lot better than the danelectro, i cant remember the name for the life of me though

12. there is the Jawari (http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html) it sounds pretty good on guitar, but i don't know about bass (it kinda has a fender rhodes vibe to it imo...the rhodes didn't sound like a piano, but had a really cool sound anyway) and i believe that the digitech pedal "the Weapon" has a sitar sim on it as well...

13. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada

That would be sweet, as the pog I just bought should be coming sometime this week!!!:D

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

if you guys like i can record ssome clips of the AX1B drone effect....

15. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    well i play the actual sitar and i really don't think any effect will get close to that sound, especially on a bass.

the sitar has a real organic qaulity to it. and all those sympathetic strings give it that really unique tone

i remember a while back here on TB seeing a double bass that had a set of sympathetic strings on it. i wish there were sound clips but i think that might give the best sitar-like sound possible on a bass.

-jimbo

ps--if you ever get a chance to play a sitar or hear someone play it in person, jump all over that!

16. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I remember this effect from the guitar version of this pedal- I used it with a stack of delay and it sounded superb. It rings out a droning harmonic of one particular note- say you set it to E each time you hit an e it swells out. Fantastic effect.

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The Line-6 Variaxe accoustic modeller does it.. albeit the guitar (as all of the Variaxe models) is alot of fluf and little substance.

Rogue makes a guitar-sitar.. it's a 6-string electric guitar with sympathetic strings. No clue how much it costs.

I'm certain the Roland V-synth has a patch.

Also, the Digitech Weapon (Dan Donnegan's signature pedal) has a sitar simulator on it.

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The Line-6 Variaxe accoustic modeller does it.. albeit the guitar (as all of the Variaxe models) is alot of fluf and little substance.

Rogue makes a guitar-sitar.. it's a 6-string electric guitar with sympathetic strings. No clue how much it costs.

I'm certain the Roland V-synth has a patch.

Also, the Digitech Weapon (Dan Donnegan's signature pedal) has a sitar simulator on it.

19. i doubt you'd be able to do it with the POG, all the POG does is pitchshift, while a sitar would require a whole new tone and dynamics, such as the lack of sustain that they have...you couldn't do that with a POG, and i found it hard to believe that you could do it with a pedal, but that jawari sounded good for what it was...not exactly a sitar, but it sounded cool nonetheless. otherwise, maybe for a good sitar sim, you could play around with the bridge of the bass, and maybe get a close sitar sound, but i would do it with guitar before i did it with bass...

20. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1.

BTW, Jerry Jones used to make (maybe still does) a guitar-style electric sitar-- http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/Master sitar.htm