Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sitar tuning/Indian Music Harmony

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, May 25, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hi,

I have an old defretted strat lying around here, and I'd like to tune it Sitarwise...I did some googling, and came up with this for a standard tuning:

C C G C G C F

Are the two lowest C's octaved or tuned the same?

Another thing, could anyone here give me a quick walkthrough of Indian (eastern) harmony? I know there are only 5 notes, but much more variations. I think it could be done to incorporate the quarter notes, since the frets are gone :D . I might be adding some extra markers tough. Problem is, that sitars have moveable frets, so the player basicly decides how he tunes the instrument.

Any sitarplayers here?

All information is welcome :)

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    bump

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I really wanna pick one up, they just sound so darn cool and look like a blast (probably damn hard too) to play! I have no idea how they really work or anything, I'm doing some research on them now. They have moveable frets which seems really weird/interesting (for lack of a better term) :meh: probably be a little tough for me to get around. So I was just wondering if anyone out there plays or at least shares my interest :p I have no idea where I could find one though (other than online) And is there a big difference with electric sitars, in terms of sound and anythign else I may be completely ignorant to at the moment ;)

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have a Jerry Jones Master Electric Sitar, play it on a couple songs in the set. Never played a "real" sitar tho'.

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    how are the main strings tuned? and do you happen to have any recordings?

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    c'mon shelly!

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I really want to get one. Supposedly an entry one is like $400. I'm kinda interested in one of the Rogue guitar sitar things.

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Steve's (gosh i hate that store) said they used to stock one that came with a case that was about 500CAD$ and he sai the case was nicer than the actual sitar itself.... the search goes on!

And yes, the elctric sitars interest me too, if i end up ith one it'll probably be that.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Here's my Jerry Jones Master Electric sitar:
    [​IMG]

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    I haven't used it on any recordings yet, but I do use it live. It's tuned as a guitar, the "drone" strings are tuned to a D chord but you can do whatever you want with them.

11. werebunny

werebunny

Aug 30, 2005
  12. My group (collectively) bough one of the rogue sitars. Got it for like 300 bucks. Does the job, gets the sound (like the Jerry Jones) and is very playable. Pretty darn cool. Couldn't tell ya how the sympathetic strings are tuned tho, sorry.

I'd say it's worth it. We bought ours for a Tom Petty tribute show (don't come 'round here no more) and it pulled off nicely. We're gonna work a bit into the new record, Kula Shaker stylie. ;)

Mon

edit:
    Traditional Tuning:

The longest and lowest string is tuned an octave above the high E of a standard tuned guitar. From there the strings are tuned in half steps. This is just a starting point and experimentation can yield some beautiful sounds.

Another great tuning is to use a "dropped D" tuning (dropping the 6th E string down a full step to D) on the guitar neck; then the sympathetic strings would be tuned to a D7sus chord as follows (longest string to shortest string):

D - same note as 1st string of the guitar neck fretted at the 10th fret (the 1st string is tuned to standard E) F# - ascending G - ascending A - ascending C - ascending A - ascending G - ascending F# - ascending G - ascending A - ascending C - ascending D - ascending D - same as previous note

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
  14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    sitars might be great, people who play them freak me out... damn hippies.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I just watched Ravi Shankar do it and he doesn't use a pick either, so I'm guessing plucking is the right way. A pick would seriously limit picking options btw.

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ravi = the ultimate extended range player. Much better than
    those elevator Jaco 4 string riffs, pffft.
    :ninja: ;)

17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I was looking for one, Jimbo said he got a nice one on Ebay,
    but right now I am working on a Benavente thing.

Who said 'damm hippie'? FOXEY!

18. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I've seen someone playing it with a sort of ring/thimble thing on their index finger.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Last night on Discovery, there was a show about this dude who went on this journey of enlightenment to India.

When he got there, he made a point of going to this place that makes sitars. The name was something like Rikhi Ram's. I think the guy who owns the place is like India's version of Roger Sadowsky. The Beatles made it famous by stopping by and getting one. Very cool that this thread pops up the day after I saw that show.

-Mike

20. Why would it hurt your hand? Just develops some callouses, like on bass...