Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SITSOM Book: Favorite track?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 8, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just got this book (and the dvd) and it's one of my favorite's. The thing I love most about it is that it shows how regardless of what style you usually play or what tone you have, that with the right bass line, you can really groove and make somethething that just really gets to your soul. I can't help but feel happy and be proud of the instrument I play when I listen to these tracks.

Anyway, what is your favorite track on the Standing in the shadows of motown book? Mine is a toss up between "What's Going On" with James Jr. and "I Was Made to Love Her" with Marcus Miller. I especially love the slap bit he does on the end of that tune. Also, while it's not really a track on the CD's, I love the short clip of Jamerson playing live in the introduction, right after "My Girl". I wish I could get that on a continuous loop :)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I chuckled when I first heard MM's slap bit at the end of "IWMTLH"...but really, is that Jamerson? I'm a little surprised Anthony Jackson didn't use his pull to edit that out. ;)

Favourites?
    "For Once In My Life"
    "Darling Dear"
    "Home Cookin'"

3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    What do you mean "is that Jamerson"? It was MM :) I think it's cool that he put his own spin on it.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I know it's Marcus Miller...
    But slapping on a Jamerson masterpiece? Is that Jamerson?
    ;)

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh ok :) That's what surprised me too was that he did slap because Jamerson wouldn't. I don't know if they were supposed to put their spin on it or just play his line the way he played it.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I think most were shooting for 'authenticity'.
    IIRC, some(Chen, Babbitt, Hungate, Aaronson) even used a foam mute.

Anyway, you have a great book for learning.
    That book forced me to become a better reader.

...and don't forget to practice "Igor's Chromatic Exercise" every so often. ;)

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea I could tell that. Chen even sounded like he was almost playing an upright.

8. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    My favorite is Bernadette... On a side note, I too enjoy the Marcus Miller slap on I Was Made to Love Her. Although it's not how Jamerson played it, it has a good feel and in my opinion its done very tastefully as well.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I love the tracks laid by Jamerson Jr. "What's Going On?"

The Philly International Rhythm Section "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

Pino Palladino "For Once In My Life"

And the track Dave Hungate did, Home Cookin', I think.

10. They are pretty much all great lines, but my favorites are Grapevine and Darling Dear.

I've got one of the guitar mags (Guitar World) which did a special bass issue years ago around when SITSOM came out, with a big Jamerson section, excerpts from SITSOM, and interviews with the people who played on it.

Miller said he was staying faithful to the original, but slapped at the end to show how the nature of bass playing had evolved since Jamerson's time.

Some guys were Jamerson disciples who tried to emulate every aspect of his playing, others just played it with their own tone.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yes, like Geddy Lee playing "Get ready" on a Steinberger with a pick! :D

Basil Fearrington's "Love is here and now you're gone" has a nice feel.

12. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I really liked Pino's piece and "Ready" Freddie Washington's as well. Of course, Anthony Jackson's submission was simply something to behold, even if you couldn't solo the bass track alone in it like the rest of the songs in the SITSOM package.

I dug Will Lee's "Grapevine" feature, too, although it seemed like he was rushing in a few spots. This went a long way in allowing me to get away from an obsession with mechanical perfection in my playing.

One player in particular was really disappointing, which was a big surprise, since you'd normally think he would have so much more facility and feel. I also wish Nathan East was on it - he was mentioned in the text but wasn't among the players who contributed music to the book.

13. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    I deserve a slap (no pun intended) for this but I don't think Jamerson Jnr (or should that be Jamerson III?) does a great job with What's Going On. It's good, but doesn't really capture the nuances of the original for me.

I love Darling Dear, For Once in My Life, and Ain't No Mountain High Enough.

By the way, I can't read sheet music (I learn them all by ear for now)... what is Igor's chromatic exercise exactly?

14. This book is a good tool for learning notation - not that I have it mastered but...

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    This book doesn't leave my electric music stand [i have a stand for DB stuff & a stand for EB stuff].

I've got "what's goin on" mostly down and i've just started "Darlin Dear". I prefer to play along w/the actual Marvin Gaye album for What's Goin On-nothing like playing along with THE man to get a lesson in groove.

Something that this book has done for me is to open up my ears to Motown more than i ever knew. I've bought numerous albums because i wanted to hear how Jamerson actually played it. Nothing against the guys in the book, but hearing the guy play it makes it even more meaningful to me. Really studying the recordings and trying to capture as much of his essence as possible.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    While it was not the book, for me, it was "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" when I heard it in a Palo Alto, CA movie theater. A good sound system really delivers Bob Babbitt's drop tuning at a very dramatic moment! :hyper:

17. Definite favorite is Pino Palladino on "For Once In My Life". That bass line is gorgeous.

18. Axel F

Axel F

Mar 2, 2005
    Loughborough, UK
    Sure this has been posted a million times but if you want to hear Whats Goin On (and a few others) played by the man himself check out

Click

I was so excited the first time I found this :)

(and if you want to hear it played not so well click the myspace link in my sig ;))