Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sitting in... should I be jealous?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jbennardo, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Quick question. Our drummer has a bass player friend who would like to sit in with us for a few songs. He calls me and asks, "is that ok".

My first inclination is to be insanley protective of my turf, but that makes me look like a schmuck. Interestingly enough, this has never happened to me as long as I've been playing. A small part of it is I don't want to be shown-up or anything like that. But most importantly is I feel the band is ours and it's my turf.

OTOH, it's cool to exchange ideas and learn from others.... conflicted. I agreed to it AND with no real static. I just thought I'd get some opinions.

2. Man, that's a tough one. I play in a blues band and the blues players in town are sort of a community and there's enough common ground that sitting in at gigs is commonplace. I'd say if he was familiar with the material, I'd have no qualms about letting him sit in. If he doesn't know the material, I'd probably pass because he'd look bad and the band would look bad. I'm sure the aim isn't to make you look bad...just my $.02.

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I went to a party and a band was playing there. They were hippie-ish. Played a bunch of dead and stuff. They sounded pretty good, i mean they weren't THAT tight, but it was pretty good. I knew the lead guitarist, and after their first set, he asked me to play in the second set. He told the song i'd be playing for was blues in C. Easy enough. The bass player in the band didn't seem to care, after all, it was just a party.

I got up there and showed that guy up so bad... on his own bass too!! afterward, the lead guitarist told me that i was much better than their bassist and he wishes i could replace him... but that wouldn't be respectful, etc....

anyway.. the moral of the story is... make sure you hear the bass player before he potentially shows you up... :ninja:

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My Dad who was also a musician told me that you should never ask to sit in with a band. Always wait to be asked. I've always stuck with that rule.
    Usually if someone asks to sit in they are not very good.
    If I see a bass player at my gig that I know is a good player, I'll usually ask him/her if they want to sit in for a couple. I don't care if they are 10 times the player I am. Good chance to hear your equipment from out in the crowd and also a good chance to steal riffs from someone good. :D

Oh yeah, one more thing about being jealous. Never be jealous of another player who is better than you. An old musician friend of mine once told me that no matter how good you are, there will always be someone come along who is better than you, younger than you, and has a longer
    XXXX than you. :help:

5. Yeah it's just a party, but I've never had to deal with that. It will be a chance to grab a beer and see how my gear sounds. And, I'm sure I'll learn a thing or two - one way or the other.

He's bringing is own axe, I cannot allow him to violate my woman. :D

6. Hmmm, just be cool with him!
    And it will be great for all of you...
    I had no problems with that.