1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sitting in the mix (P) vs Cutting thru it (Jazz) Whats more important?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mbell75, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    The Elite's are killer basses.

2. Digression on the Am. Elite jazz bass,

I tried one last December at a shop in S. Marino Republic ... wanted to trade my 2012 Am. Std. in OW ... the store manager was valuing my bass a good amount for being the assessment of a shop .. however i exited the shop with my Am. Std. still with me as this bass indoubtedly sounded could sound in a grittier way when required .. from there on I understood that I basically am a vintage-style, single-coil guy, for what concerns jazz basses ... humbucking jazz bass pickups have to tested in my opinion and the way the 4th Gen Fender pickups sounded didn't quite satisfy myself .. speding that amount of money to switch the pickups to, for example, expensive Aguilar hum-cancelling pickups, without, moreover, being sure about the electrical compatibility between Fender's onboard preamp and the new pickups, was not an option ...

PS

Fully pervaded by this vintage-fever, I'd like to buy an AO '60s P bass, hence, I put my Am. Elite P bass on sale!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    LBS-bass likes this.
  3. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    ...or anything by Mike Dirnt.

We get it, you can get any tone you want out of most any bass. But different bass designs do have inherent tone tendencies.

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Depends on the voicing - a lot of actives are blatantly & obviously uber-active sounding, even at default settings.

What I call a good active is one that will not make itself known as such unless you push things to the extreme.

5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I get some decent grit out of mine, but I have to dig in close to the bridge pickup to do it. I was playing around with a bunch of guys a couple of weeks ago and they started playing My My Hey Hey. I hit that bridge pickup side hard with my fingernails and they all thought I'd stepped on a distortion box. It can be done, you just have to dink around with it a bit to find it.

But everyone has their favorites with regard to tone, some people are jazz players and some are P players and some are MM players... it's all good :)

6. ... I like the Ocean Turquoise finish with the tort pickguard a lot ... let's add the blocks and binding fretboard and .. WOW! .. nothing to say ... however, I've definitely turned towards the passive, vintage-style side of my bass playing :)

7. The answer is obviously Music Man.

lowdownthump and LBS-bass like this.
  8. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Funny you mention that :) I am about to pull the trigger on an Ocean Turquoise 5 string. I haven't paid for it yet, but the deal is in the works and should be completed in a few minutes. After I know it's mine I will post a link so y'all can see what I am getting. I am super excited.

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    You apparently never saw the Bass Player article from the '90s, about Nashville session bassists. Except for one guy, everyone brought about a dozen different basses to every session. These are some of the "best players" on Earth. (Granted, they are professional chameleons, which isn't what you're talking about.)

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    About 15 years ago, I produced and played on a demo for a singer/songwriter. He played acoustic guitar and sang, I played bass and percussion. The engineer had a trusty Precision leaning against the wall, but I used my own Jazz Bass. When it was time to mix, the bass was more or less buried-- an EQ issue. This was a rare circumstance where I had the clout to say, "Could I have more 800? More? That's better, but a little more? More? More? More? More? Good!" It ended up OK, but if I'd just used the guy's P Bass (which he knew intimately), it would have been quicker.

11. Super cool colours combo :thumbsup:

12. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    You know, I should probably try one of those. My only experience with active basses have been Stingrays, Ibanez and Yamaha. Stingrays was the best IMO but it still sounds "digital" to me, only way I can describe the tone but I don't like it. From what I have heard of the active Jazz basses, and even the Sire V7, they sound pretty good.

13. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I don't know if this is it but the active ones I really haven't liked have all had humbuckers. So maybe it's a humbucker thing instead of an active thing.

Nashrakh likes this.
  14. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Just posted about this, with back story, if you want to check it out. I'm all giddy like a schoolgirl.

15. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I switched my N4’s out for a set of Fralins after the gig Saturday night. I couldn’t get the high end punch and note articulation that I do with single coils, I play over the bridge fingerstyle funk and passive only with my Elite.. this was confirmed by the 3rd set when I switched to my single coil Jazz backup bass and I could finally hear myself how I like. Btw I found my fingers hurt more from playing with the N4 pups, trying harder to dig in to get some grit I suppose..

LBS-bass likes this.
  16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I hate that you hate the tone of an active bass.:laugh:

17. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    No

18. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Care to share some insight on why you disagree?

19. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Of course, everything depends on the music and the other instruments, but an experience I had sums up for me what I have heard so many times: I saw Joe Satriani in Oslo with Bryan Beller on bass. He had two basses, a Lull jazz and a Lull P. He would often switch between them during the concert. Whenever he had the J bass it was a deep undefined bass sound, and when he had the P, I could hear the distinct notes and their definition. Happened every time he switched. Then he had a solo part with the J, sounded nice and clear, when the band came in he disappeared again. I am aware that this is all my subjective opinion but for me it never gets proved wrong even when I seek opposite evidence on concerts. Peace :)

LBS-bass likes this.
  20. Wsscal

Wsscal

Nov 27, 2018
    Sydney, NSW
    It doesnt have to "sit in the mix" and yes they are well known for their thumpy sound. However, I believe with proper techniques and setup you can get close to that sound with other basses. Though if you could just pull the P bass out for that exact sound during a gig, it make hell alot easier than fiddle with the setting on the amp/preamp. (unless you have a preset on them I guess)

I believe different basses have different sound and probably make you play differently too. My take is to get a sound that you love and enjoy the gig.