1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sitting in the mix (P) vs Cutting thru it (Jazz) Whats more important?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mbell75, Apr 1, 2019.

1. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Thanks for sharing that. I would suggest that there are many things that could go into selecting a tone for a particular piece of music, so swapping between basses may have just been a matter of what that bassist set up for that show. Flats on a jazz are popular these days, for example, and you'll get that thumpy tone from them. If the bassist wanted that thumpy, undefined stuff for some songs (ala Jamerson) then it makes sense that he might set up one of his basses to accommodate that. I would guess it wouldn't have to be the jazz, but as I said, flats on a jazz are very popular.

2. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I'm with you brother...took me at least a year...but still run it through a Lehle sonic spark and Classic boost.
    pretty sure I can squeeze out a "faux jazz" sound , lol

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  3. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    Both. So I use a Jazz with pickups in series and it sits in the mix and cuts through. Easy peasy.

LBS-bass likes this.
  4. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Just asking. Why would you not be able to cut through the mix with a P? For example, please check out Live at Leeds (the Who) or some live Gentle Giant cuts on YouTube.

5. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I've always been a J-Bass guy, but I have to admit whenever I hear P vs J sounds back-to-back, I love the fullness of the P. That said, I've gotten into regularly playing with some overdrive and the highs from the J really seem to work better in that context, as those are the frequencies I want to be clipping. Can you touch Geddy Lee's bass tone with a P? Not sure I should even try! I also prefer the feel of the J body and neck. Hate the hiss when reducing the bridge pickup to get a more P sound, so I hardwired my J-J in parallel also to have a single volume which I prefer. Got a Dingwall on order, hoping the neck humbucker will satisfy any desire for the occasional P sound.

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Yep.

7. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Yes...yes you can. :smug:

In all seriousness though, using a P for a Geddy tone is not bad at all and sounds a bit refreshing actually. Run it through a SansAmp and enjoy. A P/J gets one even closer.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 12:24 PM
  8. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Ha! Saved those to "watch later" and thanks!

stingray69 likes this.
  9. Flip a coin. It’s only a bass. My girlfriend doesn’t even think there is a significant difference between a stratocaster and p-bass. She’s part of the audience that likes my band. :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 12:23 PM
  10. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I replaced the top video - the audio was crap.

The replacement video has much better audio. :thumbsup:

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    We record our rehearsals with 2 PZM's to mic pre to compressor to dvd.
    I've been using the same amp with the same band memebers and other instruments for a year or so.
    The recordings are clear and reasonably well balanced.

It is amazing how easy it is to NOT BE ABLE to tell much difference between a J and P in a band mix.
    I think it's partly becuase I look for a particular sounds (EQ) so that the bass is just another item in the sonic chain to get me to where I'm headed.

12. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Do you mean you are changing eq on your amp when switching between P & J to make them match better?

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Great question.
    No, I may touch up the EQ slightly from a stock J to a P but pretty much the same EQ for both basses
    The J with Dimarzio model J's can sound nearly identical with the bridge pup alone

The pre is an Ampeg SVP-CL so no giant parametric tone shaping; pretty flay bass and treble with a mid bump; might change the freq from #3 to #4 but pretty small.
    Cabinet is a 2x15 ported box with Altec 421's