Sitting or Standing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkize you, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Mostly Sit

10 vote(s)
  2. Mostly Stand

29 vote(s)
  3. Both Equally

14 vote(s)
  4. Lay on back wile eating cheese sandwich using a PICK

2 vote(s)
  1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    When you play do you MOSTLY stand or sit?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I perform standing, and practice sitting(mostly)

though I usually practice with my strap on so I inevitably stand up. :p
  3. I practice sitting (with the strap on) and perform standing. I do sit when performing if it's with a large group and I'm having to sight read but in most groups I've played with the bassist is expected to stand for some reason. I keep my strap at a height high enough that my playing position doesn't change from sitting to standing. I think that's the key in avoiding any big difference in 'feel' between the two.
  4. i usually go with a BLT instead of the cheese sandwich. but, i'm out there on the cutting edge like that. i'm loco.
  5. I have trouble practicing or playing while sitting.....I find that my arm will start to cramp up rather quickly and my hand doesn't move as quickly up and down the neck. Of course, that could be becuz I'm used to playing standing with my bass about waist level.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I make sure that my strap holds my bass the same height regardless of sitting or standing. I rehearse standing, record sitting.

It's too hard to play my Warr sitting down, so I almost always stand with that thing.

I have rediscovered my love of tunafish sandwiches, thanks to the Country Cottage cafe down the street from my place of gainful employment. Mmm,mmm!
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to sit, but just recently (about 2 months ago) i started to practice standing all the time, so i spent $35 and bought a nice comfy thick padded strap.
  8. I used to practice sitting, but now that I'm gigging a few times a month I stand. I figure if I'm going to be standing on stage, that's how I should practice. Keeps a consistent natural feel to things.
  9. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    I always practice standing. It helps build "endurance" for gigging - plus you can practice your moves :)

We also forced our keyboard player to practice standing, he was wanting to be a lazy pr!ck.
  10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I stand when I play Funk/Progressive Metal.

I sit just a little when I play Jazz/Blues.

The reason for me is that I have a hard time playing faster when sitting, I also have a harder time with the higher register sitting...

But When I just want to play anything over all 'better' I stand.

So its prolly a 95/5 % mix of Standing/Sitting.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  12. i always forget my strap cause i never use it at home so i end up sitting :meh:
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  14. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    when my ass and shoulders get sore i sit.
    when my hand and arm cramp up i stand.
  15. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I always practise and play sitting down, and I very rarely use a strap.
  16. Me too, I have to beable to move around when I play!

17. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    treena, that's got to be the best smiley of yours i've seen yet!

btw, i'm like most others, i sit when i practice and i stand when i perform.

18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

19. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Used to sit, had a hard time with standing. Now I stand, have a hard time with sitting, hehe.
  20. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i usually pee standing unless i have something really neato to read, then i'll sit down