sitting out the current gear market due to how seller friendly it is?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DuluthDank, Sep 26, 2021.

1. I'm wondering if I'm turning into one of those old guys who won't ever buy a movie ticket for modern prices because I remember when I used to get in the doors for a dollar.

As recently as four years ago, you could get a Fender american standard bass for around 800 dollars routinely on here. These days, the higher end mexican stuff is going for close to 1K. And used gear is priced so high most places, you may as well wait for a sale and buy new.

Obviously the market is never "wrong", so it's a matter of my own willingness to spend. Anyone else feeling like that old guy these days?

birminghambass, Ellery and mexicant like this.
  2. I've become so tight with my money that the last time I opened my wallet a couple of moths flew out.:roflmao:

kesslari and DuluthDank like this.
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I remember paying close to $500 (CAD) for a Squier P bass in 1992. That was righteous bucks for me at the time. That was not a great bass, IMO.

Compare that with what close to $1000 can get you today (accounting for inflation).

4. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    Prices are still amazing for new stuff. Even with the price jumps. The quality is better than ever. The used market sucks right now probably because stock is insanely low on a lot of stuff.

It’s not just the bass world either. I had a guy say he’d sell me a used PlayStation 5 for the new price and I thought that was reasonable because he can’t go out and buy another one.

scott sinner likes this.
  5. I recently bought a Squier PJ for $229.00 shipped (brand new from a retailer). That's pretty good IMO.

6. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Banland
    OOD has a good point, there are seemingly tons of great new instruments out there at reasonable prices. But IMO, a lot of the lower priced stuff is a dime a dozen. There are a few exceptions but most of them lack that "special something".

I recently got a FGN bass outta Japan and it is by far, the most well made bass I've ever had. Handmade, ultra attention to detail, high end hardware and pups. And all for $850 - value off the charts. It doesn't seem like Japan is suffering from the same extreme inflation as we are here in the states.

I had thought about selling everything else I have and just going to 2 FGN's, but I've decided to hold onto all of them until I see some market stability. Plus, I can't get those same instruments again that I love and bought, some for $250 now valued at $700 or so.

So yeah, I'm sitting out too but not because I'm bitter about rising prices, but more because I just don't need as much these days and have most of what I wanted already. But also, I don't want to buy these sub $500-600 instruments, even if they are nice because they are so ubiquitous and reselling them is very difficult.

I saw one classified here of a guy selling a used Ray34 for more than I can buy one new with a warranty, return policy, etc. Ridiculous.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    DuluthDank likes this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I never get in that mindset. For decades, I’ve rarely bought new unless it was a “gotta have it” item, primarily pedals(and a Warwick 5-string fretless electro-acoustic). Buying cheap was always a consideration, almost a game, and sometimes I’d find killer deals in some backwater mom and pop, before CL, and sometimes just dumb luck and acting quickly or making an effort with CL. Lately, I’ve been doing more selling, ironically a lot of vintage Sunn gear(primarily tube)that I picked up at more than reasonable prices here and there over the years, and it’s been to 20 and 30-somethings.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  8. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    I have a few pedals that I no longer use so I put them on CL. A mint Linden for $120 and that was way too much money for the 2 responses I got. I'll donate the pedals to a music program so I can avoid the hassle.

9. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Take the hint… look at other stuff that ISN’T Fender.

Thorny1, birminghambass and lucas303 like this.
  10. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Give me a Fender to sell and you'll see the prices plummet. Anything I put up for sale seems to create an instant drop in demand.

11. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    It’s no different. People asking crazy prices for everything right now, not sure if anyone is buying but the asking prices are up across the board even on pedals and amps.

GregC and iammr2 like this.
  12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    The scarcity in the used market for older items isn't going to return to normal any time soon. You can't make new older items, so the supply is fixed. The people that are buying now will eventually sell what they bought and items will return to the market, but they are going to want higher prices and it looks like people will be willing to pay those prices. I should probably put up a few items that I want to get rid of.

ajkula66 likes this.
  13. El Güero

El Güero Suspended

Oct 5, 2015
    Often you can buy a new pedal on ebay for less than a used one on Reverb.

Of course, the guy on Reverb may never sell his pedal.

14. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA/RS
    That's all I do. And will tell you that the prices of most "other" quality used gear have gone through the roof over the past 18 months.

Printing money has consequences.

C Stone likes this.
  15. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Buy cheap stuff, then it doesn't matter so much. If I had to pay 200 instead of the 135 I actually paid for my Squier P bass, big woo.

16. Black_In_Mind

Black_In_Mind

Dec 26, 2018
    If by gear market you mean Reverb, ebay, craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc. then yes I've sat out of the market for most of last year and this year.

However, I've spent at least a couple grand on gear from Guitar Center's used section and got my money's worth out of it. The most recent being a black Peavey T-40 which after shipping cost less than the cheapest one currently on reverb where the description states that it needs more money sunk into it to be somewhat more playable.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    DuluthDank likes this.
  17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    From what I'm seeing in classifieds here as well as Reverb, etc. used bass prices are up about 25% from 5 years or so ago.

DuluthDank likes this.
  18. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    A seller’s market means that there is a lot out there to window shop, and so I do keep looking. And deals pop up!

Real Soon and ajkula66 like this.
  19. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The market is legitimately in a hard skew toward sellers, just as the home rental market is heavily skewed toward landlords in a lot of places.

Either things will get better or they won't. If they don't, well, we probably don't need those rare pedals or limited-run pickguards anyway. So I wouldn't have any qualms about holding off!

But I'd still keep an eye on ones I like & want (and am doing just that).

DuluthDank likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021