Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Drop_D, Jan 29, 2002.

1. I Love it !!!!

44 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. ehhh...just another one ..

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. I hate it !!!

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Nerver listened to it

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Now that the long expected new album from Dream Theater is available worldwide, i´d like to know what´s your opinions about it.

I am amazed with this album..double cd.
    It´s sooooooo mature.

A true progressive rock / metal album ...

I´ll let you state your concret ideas before expressing especificaly myself

DT

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I didn't vote yet since I just picked it up today. I can tell Disc 2 will take some listening to, not the sort of thing you just jump into.

I knew some of the songs from Disc 1, Glass Prison is a really good tune. I haven't really had a chance to listen to it today.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Give me a month or so and I'll get back to you.

4. That´s right..we need some time do really apreciate the true value of a Dream Theater album.

But in the firsts listenings i´ve enjoyed it a lot.

"bassicaly" speaking, it owns maybe the best bass tone from myung ever. Those swr made it :)

I thing the song misunderstood is played in a chapman stick.

in the preview of the album they said that myung would use a 8 string bass.....Can someone tell me which one? i cannot say it

DT

5. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I got the Mp3s in November or December, so I listened to it quite a lot, and in my opinion, it´s the best DT Album so far.

The Glass Prison, in my opinion, is the weakest song of the album, while Misunderstood, Disappear and the title track are the best.
    Also, I believe that misunderstood is one of the best DT Songs released so far.

But be warned: The Album (especially the Title Track and "Blind Faith") take a lot of listens.
    The tracks really grow on you....

I´ll post Myung pictures from Oberhausen, Germany after the concert..

edit: No, there is no Stick on that album. Portnoy told the fans that.
    The 8-String Bass is used on "The Great Debate" (check the making-of-video from dreamtheater.net) and maybe (I believe) "The Glass Prison", but I´m not sure about that.

Myungs tone is the best so far, way more accessible than on the other albums. All in all, the album sounds more alive than all their other records...

6. I love The Glass Prison..soo powerful..and it has some amazing bass lines..tapped at 9;40...

the title track is quite complex and it requires indeed many listens..

DT

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Me too, but I'm listening to it right now, so it's a little early.

9. I can´t stop listening to it.....

DT

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Just got it last night so haven't been able to give it an "in-depth" listen... My first impression though is less than stellar...

The first thing I noticed was the typical DT "over-the-top"... "Why play one quarter note when you can play four 16th notes".. mentality. "Monstro-Portnoy", I think is the main reason that DT has been slipping down my favorite band totem for the last 5 or so years.. He OVERPLAYS so much... Look at the booklet... Has his picture and what's written below it.....

Mike Portnoy... "LEAD DRUMS"!!!!!! What the hell is that?!?!?!?

My only guess is that somewhere between Dream Theater, LTE, and Transatlantic he's suffered a mini-stroke which has severly damaged the "good-taste" section of his brain... Example: Track 3- Misunderstood.. A very nice melody is established and then at around time: 2:40 where he injects this frantic octoban / splash-staxx pattern that completely kills the feel of the song... Almost as if the guy is going to die if he has to refrain from playing for three minutes!

Im not trying to sound like an ***hole here, but I am very critical of DT and their music... because I know what the can do... I haven't made it to disc 2 yet, and I need to listen to disc 1 some more..

Highlight of the album so far... Disappear

To be continued......

11. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    What ?

Misunderstood is one of the high moments of Portnoy.
    Listen to that section starting at 3:00. Thats such a great part, what a great idea to put a tape delay on the snare drum...
    Another good one is The Great Debate. Double Hi-Hat !!!(Intro)
    Portnoy doesn´t overplay, he´s simply a technically perfect drummer - he play´s things most other drummers would never thing of... and would never be able to play...

Portnoy is the one that keeps the band together.
    Without him Dream Theater wouldn´t be what they are, in my opinion, the best prog band out there at the moment.

if you want boring drums, and slow, pretty boring song structures, go listen to radiohead.
    thats nothing against the band, i like them pretty much as "chill music", but I can´t understand why so many prog-people are raving about them. they are just by no means alternative or progressive or different.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The problem is that he's doing it frequently. Gets a bit too much at times.

I find more emotion in Jonny Greenwoods guitar pick than in the entire collection of DT music. They are IMO both excellent bands, but for entirely different reasons. I wouldn't dare to call Radiohead "boring". However, I would indeed dare to call DT "boring", spotwise if nothing else.

13. have you listened to amnesiac at all? pyramid song? life in a glass house? i mean, the bends was pretty standard stuff, but to say radiohead is not progressive or different now is just plain untrue.

14. IMO radiohead is "in" the progressive scene, but in a very different way...you can´t compare radiohead to DT ...that´s absurd....

If some of you guys doesn´t like portnoy or DT at all , you have your reasons....

Each one thinks for it self...so i think DT RULES ..

i love the new album..and damn.....

Portnoy is a master...petrucci is a master....myung is a master...rudess is a master....la brie is a master.....

some of you say that you cannot find emotion in DT´s songs...
    just listen to Six Degrees...Misunderstood . blind faith (amazing song).. and the genial Disappear..

The title track it self is really amazing..the Overture is so diferent from it all..it has the true meaning of overture...(it resumes the essence of all the piece)..and it´s so cinematic..so broadway...so john williams :)

DT - Six Degrees Of Inner Genious..

DT

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

.... No one is disputing his technical profeciency... But IMO he's far from perfect...Personally I think he needs a big dose of Mark Zonder sensibility... The mark of a good musician is being able to play the tecnically challenging stuff... The mark of a GREAT musician is knowing when NOT too..

...Portnoy IMO is going to eventually be the (ultimate) downfall of DT.. Unless the other guys in the band decide to rein him and Petrucci in... I at one time thought of them as the best prog band out there.. I now think differently.. For me bands like Vanden Plas, Dali's Dilemma, Pain of Salvation, & Symphony-X blow them out of the water... Why?? Because with these bands the SONG still comes first over individual showmanship

Never said I wanted "boring drums"... I just wish Portnoy would relax a little... His playing detracts from the songs.... For me good composition and arrangments are like cooking... You can have the choicest and best ingredients, recepies, cook-ware etc.. However if you put a cup of salt in when it only called for half a cup you've ****ed up everything!! THAT to me is what Portnoy (and sometimes Petrucci) does with the band.. With regards to Radiohead... I've never listened to any of their stuff... What are some songs that you can recommend...

16. Dream theater for me is something like a chalenge for our ears....i love complex licks, and to try to figure them out...

Portnoy this...Portnoy that...

Just read to de magazine Modern Drummer . and they´ll say it to you..:)

The main critic about mike portnoy that i usually got..is the suposed lack of "feeling" in his playing... but men...

i´ve seen more feeling only in Overture (in SDoIT) than in many whole albums from suposed "great drummers" ..

It´s soooo subjectiv...we could be here days and days discussing it..and in the end none of our minds would change...

conclusion...

The ones that likes DT (and Portnoy) keep listening:)

The ones that dislike DT (and Portnoy) stick to it...and just don´t listen it anymore..

DT - Six Degrees Of Inner Genious

DT

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Drop D..
    Im not saying that you or anyone else is in the wrong by liking either the new DT disc or Mr. P's playing... All Im doing is stating my feelings and opinions about a band who IMO has been in an artistic downslide for the last few years... I never said I HATED the disc. It does have it's moments. For me it could have been a GREAT disc had certain things been done differently. I am completely with you about loving complex and intricate thought-provoking music. Hell, when Awake first came out I learned and played it start to finish continuously!! But I also feel very strongly that songs can suffer because of mis-directed musicianship and unchecked self-indulgence... In all things the musician must serve the song!! I've said it before.. You can be the greatest, most technical player that ever existed.. but if you can't write a good song then you become Yngwie Malmsteen! So please don't take my words as an attack against you, your musical tastes or preferrences...

Peace!

18. i got your point..

Peace..

That´s true..you can be the most amazing technical musician...but without "touch" , you´re nothing...but that "touch" is very subjectiv..you know..

IMHO DT has it...

DT

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok, I love the first disc, on to the second. I happen to like (don't forget, this is a subjective statement) Portnoy's drumming. I thought the "lead drum" thing was a joke, as there is only one drummer how could he be "lead"?

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ok.. Disc 2 has proven to be a GREAT improvment over disc 1. HERE is what I am looking for with this band.. They all seem to be working together vice competing against each other.. Portnoy does get carried away on a few occasions, but as a whole it (disc 2) made up for disc 1's shortcomings... I liked the "Overture"... but parts of it reminded me of the musical intro to "Legend of Zelda" or maybe "Final Fantasy VII"....