Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

six foot vertical stack - oh my! NOW WITH PIX!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, May 1, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    this friday i brought out all 4 cabs ( i just got a great deal on a used bag end S12), for a test drive. the room is notoriously quiet (i.e. you can turn up pretty loud and 20 feet away you can have a conversation at normal levels.) so i figured it would be a good place to try it. besides i thought it would be funny to see the reaction of the woman who always asks us to keep it down when she saw my stack. :D

the contestants were all bag end; a D10B on it's side, an S15, and two S12's, all in the deep red flavor. Total height was a bit over six feet when adding the addtional height from the stack lock corners. With the two 2 space skb racks and my electric blue head (used as a 2nd preamp) an top, i think i was pushing over 7 feet tall. :cool:

do a search and you'll find why vertical arays are superior to horozontal placement. all i'll tell ya here is it sounded as good as i ever have. (i even got a bunch of "tone" compliments - :confused: :eek: ). of course i never got past about 3 on the volume.

on saturday i had all that with me for a much smaller gig, and as i was so wiped out i never unpacked the car from the night before. i had to bring it all in as we were in a sketchy area. much different band, plays quieter, smaller room, had the amp on about 1. that night i just made two side by side stacks. guess what? it sounded ok, but nowere near as clear and articulate as the vertical stack.

i know a pic exits so i'll post it for a laugh when i get a copy. :p

[​IMG]

2. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Awesome! I'll be looking forward to the pic.

About two years ago the Musicgoround store in Minneapolis had two Sonic 18+2x10 cabinets in stock. They were basically Sonic's version of Peavey's 1820 cabinet, only the Sonics were 8 ohms each instead of four. I thought about getting both of those things, stacking one on top of the other, and powering them with my Peavey Mark VIII XP. That would've made for an impressive, albeit dated, superstack.

3. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Amazing, glad to hear about the sucsess, what I have thought about doing, I'm planning on getting a Berg NV215, and *IF* extra cash comes my way, stacking a NV610 on top, plus my F1-X in the 6 space SKB, Thats 3' per cab, 6' in speakers plus the 1 1/2 foot rack. but for now my Genz Benz 410 and the avatar 1x15 is working decent, plus I'm taller

but like I said, right now its just a thought

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'd love to hear an NV610 with an NV215. It'd be tough to stack but it could be done. I just don't want to be under it when it topples.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah that's the problem allright. any cabs with a small "footprint" due to a slant on the back to accomodate rear casters would need some kind of rigging to stack safely (not sure if the bergies have that issue or not)

fortunately my smaller cabs have no such problem.

BTW, that stack so killed an 8x10 in terms of volume & tone. sure it didnt look as cool, but boy did it sound good. I've never gotten so many compliments. (and come on, who compliments the bass player on their tone????) :cool:

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Got to see that pic!!
    As a "control" you should bring the same stack next week, set it all up and just plug in the 2x10 and a 12, or a 12 and a 15. I'd bet you will still blow everybody away with the tone. It is sort of decieving, but it would be interesting!!
    ...on a side note IM, I just ordered a s15d to put under my VL208 so I don't have to haul the Q10bxd around, can't wait to try that combo out!!

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I used to run these silly stacks & though they sounded great(soundmen cringed, no PA needed, LOL!), they were a mutha' to move...

~S~

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...then I went to this...

~S~

PS: As of now, I just use my 2x15 & 2x10 w/TE V-8, pics shortly...

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don't know who I feel worse for, the guy who had to lug all that(YOU?) or the poor fish in the aquarium next those monster towers!! Those poor guppies must be scared to death!!!

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    LOL! It made my Platy give birth! Wait till I'm finished with my 200gal reef tank...the crabs are gonna mosh!!!

~S~

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Not an issue with the NV610 anyway.

Someday when I've got some time on my hands I want to build three 2x10 sealed enclosures that match the internal volume of the NV610 and swap the drivers into those cabs. I bet that a line array NV610 would sound amazing-er (and be easier to move).

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    hey devil,

what the hell did you use to power all that? About 6000 watts? :D

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...only the best, Crown & QSC...

~S~

PS: An MA2402 & PLX3402

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes, yes, YES!!

Thank you for bringing this up, IvanMike. For the good of the Bass world, this needs to be brought up until it gets pounded into people's heads.

Unless you WANT 'laser beam' dispersion - and I could picture why would want that, like on a big-big concert stage where you'd want to be the only one who hears the amp direct, and everyone else is to only hear mons or mains - side-by-side drivers are terrible!

..And like I've said before: This 'dispersion modification' that's affected by side-by-sides is NOT like that of a horn, where energy is re-directed forward, but instead this off-axis sound is WASTED - it eats itself up and cancels-out!

Bass amplification is in the 'that's how it's always been done' dark-ages!

Grr,

Joe

15. I'm in the process of building a big ass 4x10 box. It's gonna be 48" high, and I've been considering lining it up like this:
    _ *
    _ *
    with a tweeter in the middle instead of like this:

It'll look odd, but I don't give a ish. What do you think?

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The Bag End 4x10 cab is set up in that fashion, no tweeter though, one of the drivers is a coax. It kicks complete butt in all respects, by far the best 4x10 cab I have ever played @ any price.

17. Is it like:
    _*
    _*

or:
    ??

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Like the first one..

19. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm, interesting. So are you saying that people should make their stacks as tall as possible, like if you can stand the cabs on their ends, you should do so? Unless you only want the sound mainly to be heard forward? Further elaboration on this would be much appreciated. Just wondering why, if this is as dramatically disadvantageous as you say, we are still in the dark ages...