1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Six most important qualities

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassChuck, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Atshen likes this.
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I disagree with #2. Yes, a bassist should have good time and the ABILITY to be in unison with the drummer, but playing opposing rhythms than the drummer isn't a bad thing. Syncopation is fun!

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'll agree with #1 and #3.

You can combine #2 and #6 and call it "groove".

The importance of #4 depends on the type of band you have

With #5, it's important to have decent tone but beyond that, it's greatly overshadowed by the above.

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, but syncopation requires one to have good time to begin with. Otherwise, you just have a mess.

elgecko likes this.
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    A bass player should most definitely have good time, but to only play the rhythms the drummer is playing is just ridiculous. I wouldn't consider that an important quality. I consider being in unison with the drummer all the time to be quite boring actually.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    "When done right, the bassist should really be driving the band, right there with the drummer in perfect unison."

That says the "drive" (AKA groove) should be in unison. Nowhere does it say they have to be playing the same rhythm.

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, we've all heard the common advice to "lock in with the kick", which is good advice. But really locking in with anything within the kick, hats, snare or ride will do. It's just a matter of taste.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    And genre. Locking in with the kick is good advice for a beginner. Otherwise, that should be second nature if the song calls for it. A great bass player can compliment the drums rather than just be an extension of them.

bassinplace and Tanner5382 like this.
  9. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Every musician in the band should have good time.

Lownote38 likes this.
  10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Unison by definition means play the same thing the drums are playing. Also, everyone should be driving the band equally. It isn't just the drummer and bassist's jobs to keep the groove. If that article means what you say it does, then it's very poorly worded.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  11. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    One thing I find interesting about all of these "best/most important qualities for a *insert instrument here* player" is that they overall have such vague, obvious points that they can apply to any instrument.

pcake likes this.
  12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Not when referencing "drive". I have to disagree on this point.

I cannot argue this point.

Lownote38 likes this.
  13. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I didn't see:
    "shows up on time, knowing the material"

I'd think that was first.

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001