Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Six-string as my next bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyklone777, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Yeah I play a 4 string now, tuned BEAD...but it's kind of getting old, I feel there's not enough room to be creative. I've wanted a 5 string for awhile, but I've decided to take the plunge...I want a 6 string for my next bass, so I can practically play anything I want, you know? I won't be limited. Cuz in my band a lot of the songs are fast, and easy to play on a 4 string, but I want to start to get into stuff that's not just the fast heavy shxt. Any good suggestions? I was thinking of checking out a Dean Edge Q6, they look nice, and they're only $560 in MF.

2. Congrats on the decision. The Dean looked good to me also. Also check out the Ibanez BTB406, it's about 600 bones, very nice bass.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

cyclone, the Dean's have a pretty floppy B string.

The BTB406 blows the Dean Edge Q6 off the planet IMHO.

4. Yeah the BTB's look dope. I saw some Peavey six strings at a Daddy's Junky Music when I got my new rig...I don't know what model they were...they weren't Cirruses or Furys. They looked interesting.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If they weren't Cirrus or Fury, they must have been discontinued.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree with Emellisher. Check out the Ibanez BTB. I have played both and the Ibanez is a much better bass than the Dean, for close to the same money. You will be a lot happier, trust me.

7. i agree, the BTB is a great 6 for the price, probably the best in its price range IMO

8. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Hmmm...could the Peavey's have been old TL-6 models?...basspalace.com seems to have cornered the market on these guys.

Don't forget the Carvin LB76. Lots of bang for the buck, though the string spacing's pretty narrow.

9. "Yeah I play a 4 string now, tuned BEAD...but it's kind of getting old, I feel there's not enough room to be creative."

?????????????????????????????????????
    Maybe you should take up golf or something...

10. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Good point - more strings doesn't make a player more creative. It does gives a player extended range to expand his creativity. Tony Levin at one stage did nice things with a 3-string bass.

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    and Mark Sandman with 2...

12. any pics of a 2/3 string bass? i gotta see to believe

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ask, and Ye shall receive:

[​IMG]