1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Six-string bass that cuts through in a metal-band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrMe, Mar 14, 2009.

1. MrMe

MrMe

Aug 26, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    The title says everything.
    Budget 0-1000$.
    I can buy a Yamaha RBX JM2 for ca. 875$.
    Is there any better for metal out there?

2. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I would look into Ibanez, as much as I don't like the feel. I would get the model with the highest number you can afford. I particularly like the 706 and 906 though.

3. I m voting Ibanez myself too.

4. MrMe

MrMe

Aug 26, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    I've tried Ibanez, but i don't like the feel of the neck.

5. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    How about a Bongo 6-string?

Would be my choice for a 6-string bass for metal.

6. Would a used Bongo 6 be within his budget?

What sort of Ibanez 6 stringer did you play? If it was the SR series you could try the BTB series. They have a different neck to the SR series, are a 35" scale as opposed to the 34" scale of the SR and, in my opinion, look more metal :bassist:

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Sorry, I didn't considered the budget.

8. warwick thumb bo.

extremely aggressive sounding bass!

9. Peavey Grind works pretty well IMO.

10. the JM has a good cutting tone, Dean Q6 has plenty of cajones too.but somthing like a used wick would be better

11. MrMe

MrMe

Aug 26, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Yeah, I have considered Warwicks.
    Do the standard Corvette come with six strings?
    How much do they go for used?

12. With all due respect to 6ers, are you sure you want to fight with the extra neck in metal? About 5-6 years ago, every metal bassist in town was using a 6 string, but barely touching the G and even more rarely touching the C string.

13. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    with all due respect most metal bassists don't know what they're doing. There's just as much room in metal for a high C as there is a low B or dropped D. :spit:

schecters and ESPs don't look too bad, spend 500 on the bass, 500 pimping it out?

pretty nice tobias on the bay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TOBIAS-6-STRINGS-BASS-IN-GREAT-CONDITION-TOBY-PRO_W0QQitemZ250388274334QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item250388274334&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318

14. i did think about saying this, mainly about the high C (i use the g quite alot but thats just me) unless your playing technical/progressive stuff you may not even need the C what sort of metal are you playing?

15. MrMe

MrMe

Aug 26, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm playing technical prog. metal, so I shure need that C-string.
    And I like to play fusion and chords and stuff like that at home,
    so it would defianetly come in handy.

16. Yes the bubinga corvette standard comes in 6 strings which would be a very growly bass and I wouldn't pay more than 800$ used for one.

17. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I have 2 ibanez 6 string basses, sr and btb. There is only a slight difference in the feel of their necks. Schecter has some good stuff out in your price range. LTD is making some decent stuff too in your price range that could be worth checking out too. Hope this helps.

18. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Ibanez SR506, go.

19. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I think I might be seconding the Ibanez SR506 that Bullhorn mentioned but I dont know for sure. :oops:

I've seen a local cover band in my area a couple of times and their bassist uses an Ibanez 6 string and they play harder edged stuff like Stone Temple Pilots, Judas Priest, AC/DC. I've never asked what model it is but it cuts through very nicely in small clubs.

20. SPECTOR LEGEND 6