1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Six-String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EzraSherbert, Apr 18, 2006.

1. EzraSherbert

EzraSherbert

Apr 18, 2006
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new around here, and though I've tried to find applicable threads, the search engine will not process the word or number "six".

The world of musicians seems to be divided into those that are in it for the progressions, and those who are in for tone quality. I'm more the former, and while I think I'm getting a pretty decent tone from my bass (6 string yamaha soundgear), I don't really know what I'm looking for. I play melodically, primarily in the middle to high range, and I like the notes that I play to come through clearly, without the midrange and highend maxed out. My band is delicate at times (a warmer, subtle bass tone would be more appropriate), and heavy at others (need more cut).

Soooo, what am I looking for? Which company(s) will provide me with a dependable six string bass that has a wide variety of tone control, without overly complicated configuration (I once saw a bass with seven tone knobs) , made specifically to accompany high end players, and a conservative design?

Any ideas?

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Price range?

3. CARVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the LB76. Ive owned and own quite a few, and they are extremely versatile.

4. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Ibanez BTB... very versatile preamp less than 700$.

5. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Try to revise your search under "extended range bass" ..... you'll get a lot more info that way.

It's usually easier to narrow the question field a little bit, like how much you want to spend, the types of music you play, preferred string spacing, scale length, etc. Otherwise, you'll get the name of every bass builder that makes a 6 thrown at you .....

6. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Ken Smith
    MTD
    Zon
    Modulus
    Roscoe
    Pedulla

Top of my list.
    There of course are others.

7. I've had great luck with my Modulus Q6. If you want dependability, you should look into graphite necks. I've had my Q6 since 1996 and its never needed an adjustment (thus, why mine doesnt have a truss rod). Its been across the US and over seas with me with no problems at all. Every note, from the low B all the way up, rings out clearly and precisely. Controls are about as easy as it gets. Vol, bal, mid, bass, treb.

Alot of people complain that graphite sounds sterile. Which, to some extent I would agree. BUT, I've never had a problem with it cutting through in the mix as I have had a couple times with all wood basses. Not knocking all wood because I own several of them. But I have had issues, specifically supporting jazz guitarists, where I've been lost in that range where guitar and bass overlaps. I've never had that problem with the Modulus because it has a specific sound that is very independent but doesnt stick out to the point that its offensive.

Graphite isnt for everyone but you should atleast check it out.

Shamless plug to post a pic of my bass :)

[​IMG]

8. EzraSherbert

EzraSherbert

Apr 18, 2006
    Point taken, Pointbass. I'm looking to spend around 800 dollars, and I suppose it would be called a rock band? It's not drony or ultra-agressive, it's pretty straight ahead, but as far as tone goes, there's not really a "right answer" for the type of bass playing I'm doing. (http://www.pigletchicago.com/media.htm)

24 frets is ideal, I don't know what string spacing is about, but I like wide necks.

9. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    For tonal variety the F Bass is the best I've experienced, but that is well out of your $800 price range.

For a wide neck (my favorite), and 24 frets, a Yamaha Patitucci is ideal, and the good news for you is, if you watch ebay close enough, you can pick one up for under $1,000. That is really a GREAT bass for the money.

The official Yamaha name for the bass is TRBJP. It has decent tonal variety, but at its best it has a character that is not Fender, but really nice. Sometimes it talks under my fingers I think.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My personal favorites around this price range would be the Peavey Cirrus 6, Yamaha TRB-6, and Carvin LB76. No experience with the BTB 6s. For versatility and a clear, modern sound, I don't think you can beat the Cirrus for the price. For the wide neck, the Yamaha is definitely worth looking into!

11. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Typically, string spacing on a standard Fender is in the 19mm range between strings. Typically "tight" string spacing would be in the 15mm-16mm range between strings.

I'm not too sure what a Yamaha Soundgear bass is, as you stated in the original post. Soundgear is an Ibanez brand name, AFAIK. But the TRB's referenced above are definitely cool basses that fit nicely into the price range you have and will likely not feel dramtically different than the Yamaha you have now.

The Ibanez BTB's and Carvin LB-76's are also good, although I'm personally more inclined towards the Yamaha. A little bit lower on the 6 string food chain are the Dean Edge and the Brice Prestige Z6NT. The Brice Z6 is a big fella though, probably the biggest bodied bass out of the bunch mentioned here.

Let us know how you make out ...... :cool: