six string bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 9, 2002.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im going to be purchasing one soon and i have no idea whyid like one, the music i play doesnt really neccesitate the need for one, i just know i want to learn it. So im just curious to know why most of you that play a six or more string bass decided to take it up.
  2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I like to use the bass as a solo instrument when I'm alone, and when I'm playing with others, I'll use the higher notes to try to fill up the sound, especially when the guitarist is soloing. Sometimes I'll play a melodic solo while he lays down the rhythm (mainly for mellower songs...if I do this with fast, heavy stuff, it'll be too weak without any real bass).

Basically I just like to fool around. My next bass (which will not be needed anytime soon) might not even be 6. I might go back to 5, depending on how my needs/style changes. But whatever happens, I'm pretty sure it's going to have more than 4 and less than 7 strings. :D
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I just ordered my first 6-string (a Ken Smith) about a month ago. I'm looking forward to using the 6 as a doubling axe in the original jazz/eclectic group I play in. So far I've done everything on DB, but some material calls for a more solid tone and volume than a DB can really supply. Also, there are some tunes with unison type melodies at BURNING tempos - also unsuited for DB (to clarify, it's unsuited for ME on DB at this point in my development :D). The six string will be great for that as well.

I almost bought a 5 string last year...if I had, I would have had it strung with a high "C" rather than a low "B". I like the versatility of that extra high string. It facilitates options that a four string doesn't because you have a lot more opportunities to play fast passages across the strings. The higher range also cuts through better for solos in many styles and textures.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Hi Ken. Sorry about the confusion regarding one of my threads when you first arrived. I've sent you a PM, but you might not have that function turned on. I don't have the paperwork with me, but I did indeed order through Bass World, and I believe the model of the bass was BSR-6P. I had played one that they had in stock and fell in love with it. When I went back to get it, it was gone, so the owner said he'd order one just like it (same woods, etc.). As a measure of how impressed with the bass I was, writing the check for half of the total didn't even hurt when I placed the order, even though the only thing I got to go home with that day was a receipt. For some strange reason, I liked the sound of that one even more than some of the more expensive models I've seen. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.