Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Six string F(#)BEADG...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tenchu, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Is it possible and does it exist?
    What modifications are needed?

2. well, i think thats how they tune 7-string basses (only with the high C) so i would say its possible...

3. Yes, it's possible and they do exist. Benavente had a 6 string with a F# at NAMM one year.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That would be my tuning if I ever went to 6. Every so often I consider tuning one of my fivers F#BEAD!

5. I know that french TB'er Yves Carbonne http://www.yvescarbonne.com/
    uses special custom gauges from Labella for his Sub Basses:
    [​IMG]
    I don't remember how it's tuned but I guess it can go low enough.
    Check out the size of the Strings:hyper:

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I thought that Seven Strings were Tuned B E A D G C F With a High F And Eight Strings were F# B E A D G C F.

And I remember reading here that somone was making a Bass with a Low G# or sumthing...

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think the main mod would be widening the nut slots to properly accomodate the fatter strings. That and a setup.

8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have toyed with the idea of stringing my Cirrus that way.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Me too....except, I have no logical place to use notes that low. I already have an X-tender on my B string to occasionally drop it to A. That already seems to be about as low as I need to ever go.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Bah! i'm late again!
    ;)

Anyway, now it's been said.
    There also is another TBer who made/had himself made a custom 6er tuned that way.

IMHO, however, the B is low enough. And floppy enough. F# would be even worse. You'd need way longer scale to tighten it up. (Knuckles have 39" scale, if I remember right).
    And it takes a very good neck to make a good F#

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Not exactly. Though there are some (custom) 7s tuned that way, the majority of 7s is BEADGCF

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    1.) Yes, usually - though customs exist of both types that have different tuning

2.) Dude, basses are tuned in fourths, so its F# and C# for the even lower. ;)

14. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I did. Pictures available on my home site ("About", and on the bottom there's a link).

The F# is no more floppy than the average B. A little more floppy than the B of that bass, though :D
    The problem is to find a speaker cab that doesn't faint below A :help:

I think Jaquo X (spelling???) actually play low C#, on 34" basses. I have no idea how that works, but I guess he wouldn't ramble so much about it if he didn't play it...or?

15. Yves Carbonne seems to say that Accugrove are good cabs for sub basses.

You can listen to the soundclip on his website listed above to figure out how sounds a low low E!!! Quite impressive, hope you have good speakers...

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Accugroove El Whappo Grande. 21" speaker :eek: :smug: :D

IIRC, Jaquo III-X uses very heavy strings

17. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The Whappo Grande is solid down to the F# fundamental and I had tremendous luck with it at a full octave down E - a most impressive cab to be sure.

If memory serves, Jaquo III-X uses a .195 or .200 for his C# - the same gauge I use for my octave down E. Apples and oranges, however, as my scale length makes the same gauge behave differently.

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have to ask the ? why do you say I ramble so much?when all I have ever done was try to answer ?'s that may have something to do with my Concept of achieving a lower sounding Electric Bass Guitar.I have to say that I have taken offence to the Ramble comment(but then again I may have read it wrong).if anyone would like to hear comments on what My 34"scale Fretless Subcontra Bass sounds like E-mail Bill Dickens and see what he has to say.a few days ago he spent most of the day with me in the studio while I mixed my soon to be released CD and was blown away.he could not stop commenting on it

billthebuddhadickens@hotmail.com

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm lazy. I want it so I can play a low B at the fifth fret!:D

I can't see myself using anything below Ab, but it would be cool to be able to play an A and a Bb in a lower octave.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my main fretted 7 is tuned f#-b-e-a-d-g-c, although most of my other ones are tuned b-e-a-d-g-b-e. my 8's are tuned f#-b-e-a-d-g-b-e.

if anyone is interested :)