1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Six string for $500. Any good ones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Apr 20, 2006.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Does anybody know of a good sixer that can be had for $500? I'm trying to track one down for a student, he just got here from Jamaica and he couldn't bring a bass. I looked at MF to see whats in that price range, and they actually have quite a few for around 500. Anyone have any thoughts on cheaper 6 strings?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you can, make it $600 and go for an Ibanez SR506. AMAZING bass, amazing value.

3. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
  4. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    DUDE!!
    Totally do a Dean6
    I have one and it's amazing.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    jeez.. i just happen to have an sr1306 refin black with Lane poor pups and a smith 2 band pre that i want to move...

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
  7. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Used Carvins are always great deals, though, so I wouldn't get caught up on one that doesn't come with at least a gig bag, personally. For that reason, I don't think he'd ship, but maybe i'm missing something.

8. Ibanez SR506, great bass, great woods and tone for ages.

lowsound

9. Used Carvin LB76.

10. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Along with the SR's, the BTB series are very nice basses... 35" scale, nice string spacing, real versatile preamp. Could probably find one used (bolton) for around 350 - 400$

11. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    I think my Peavey Fury 6 sounds amazing, and i know that Musiciansfriend was selling them for like $200 brand new, when they were selling the other peaveys. I think they go from like $200-400 on ebay and such, but i think they sound great. However, the string spacing is a little tight, but thats the way i like it, so it doesnt bother me.

12. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    whatever you do, TRY IT FIRST.

13. Another vote for the Ibanez SR506. It's a solid bass with good pups for the price!

14. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Cort Curbow?

15. rbrown13

rbrown13 supporting member

Sep 9, 2005
    bakersfield ca,
    I have to second the SR506, I just picked one up a week ago, and out of the box it is awsome, I cut a bone for it, leveled, recrowned and polished the frets.I have owned a couple of sixer's over the past few years(including a modulus q6 ss) and this is one of the best Iv'e played, and it's a 34" scale wich makes it a little easier to find strings for. I put a set of Daddario EXL 170-6 nickel round wounds on it, I like these better than the elixir's that come stock on it.