Six + String owners... Do your fours feel small now?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA

As some of you know, I recently bought a Spector NS2000 Q6. I have been playing it a lot. After a short time, you really get used to the feel of a wider neck and I have really noticed that when I am playing on my Jazz basses I really am begining to miss the tremendous access to notes the Sixer is giving me. This did not happen to me at all when playing my Fives...

So how about you guys? When you started playing sixes or higher, did you begin to feel limited on your fours?

I think I really like having a B and a C. I actually find myself going up to the C more than down to the B.
  2. i dropped into my local George's Music and i sat down with a (VERY badly set-up:mad: ) Fender Jazz and it felt very very skinny and a massive pain to play.
  3. the answser for me would be yes, it feels smaller, but it doesn't affect my playing. i will say though, that back before i played 6 string, i shifted positions a lot more. i now tend to play more block like figures in different positions as opposed to moving up and down the neck using open strings as pivots into other positions like you would on upright. of course, i'm not really talking about playing grooves here. i'm talking about ways to play over changes, classical stuff, etc.
  4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Once you go 6, you can never REALLY go back. I only use my 4's to teach or just noodle around. I never play a 4 seriously anymore. I still play 5 seriously, but not 4. It must be the Low 'B'.

edit: 4 string necks just feel small and flimsy to me after playing 6 for so long (10 years or so). The 6 feels all solid and comfortable, the 4 feels like a toy. You know how a heavy pen feels good in your hand compared to a cheap bic? Kinda like that.

edit2: Oh yeah, and BTW, SPECTORS RULE!!!!
  5. Yes, yes, and yes, Gabu.

I don't have a 6er yet, but *limited* is the exact word I would use to describe the feeling I get now whenever I play my 4 strings. I have three 4s, and two 5s. When I got my first 5 it felt odd, and I thought it was nice to have a few extra low notes, but a 4 felt much more natural in my hands. Now, if those low D,C and B notes are not there, I ask: Why not?

I'm almost scared to get a 6, because I might just start feeling the same way about my 5s.

I feel the same way with a 24 fret fingerboard.

You are not alone. :)

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's the low 'B' that makes the difference. I can go between my 5 and 6 like nothing, but when I go to my 4 I miss the low notes. I don't miss the high C on the 6 cause I can just go up 5 frets to get the few notes I might need. You can also just shift the pattern your playing up 5 frets on the 5 to avoid having to think about it.
  7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    After a while I've just gotten used to both. I kind of go through phases, but no real issues switching back and forth.
  8. Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    A few days after I got my NS2000 Q6 I decided that 6 was what I wanted to stick with, and I sold my only 4. Every time I try to pick up a four now I feel like it's got a really tiny neck and the range is very limiting. I can't see going back any time soon.
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Never really happened to me, honestly.

I'm just as happy playing a four string as I am playing a 6 string.

Now, going from fretted to fretless is another story. I'm much happier playing a fretless than I am a fretted. But, even that is a phase thing.

Then, again, I've taken my octave 8 string fretless to a blues gig, so I'm probably not the best example. :D
  10. korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    my answer is yes. i feel that i cannot go back to a four anymore. its like playing soccer in your backyard then playing in a soccer field. though i still play a four when teaching.
  11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

:D :D :p

But seriously:

Yes, a 4 does feel a little "yesterday" to me, but almost in a good way -- kinda like watching old Mighty Mouse cartoons (yes, I saw them first run when I was a kid). I recently played a couple of 4's killing time in a small music store that didn't have anything else, and I gotta say it felt like going back to small-town Iowa after living in New York City for ten years -- maybe a little limiting, but still home.
  12. Gosh, your students are lucky. My teacher played a 5 (when I had a 4) with no fretboard dots or inlays. I could never quite tell where he was on the neck.:( :rolleyes: :meh:

Needless to say, I dumped him....
  13. After playing my 9-string, my 6-string feels small. :D

- Dave
  14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I don't blame you, that's just plain rude. I can't imagine ANY teacher using a 5-string bass without dots. Students have a hard enough time understanding fretboard layout, the last thing they need to do is have to count the frets and ignore the bottom string. HOW CONFUSING!!!
  15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Let's see a pic of that bad boy! What kind is it?
  16. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    I have a 6 String Fretless Aria Pro II Steve Bailey with flatwounds, and a 1979 precision bass... I like when I change from six to four, because, I don't know... I feel like more accurate playing the 4 stringer.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been playing mainly fives for quite a while. I also have sixes I'm spending more time with.

To the contrary, I don't find the move to a four limiting, I find it liberating. My main fours are a 78 Ash Jazz and an Elrick E-Volution. Both sound so good it's scary.

Depending on the gig, missing the low B hasn't been an issue. The Elrick has massive lows, even going up on the A striing for notes I'd typically play on the B. I play with more abandon on my fours and definitely wank more with less strings. Go figure;)
  18. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    The physical differences between the two don't bother me much, I feel equally at home on either the 4 or 6; however, I do miss those low notes when playing the 4 sometimes. The high notes, not so much. The high-C string is more of a friendly convenience than an absolute necessity for me.
  19. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, since I've started playing my 6 my 4 string does seem a little too small to be comfortable on but my basses are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to neck sizes. My 6 string Alembic has a 2.5 inch nut whle my Ibanez Soundgear barely has half of that.
  20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    After i got my 6, i put my four by its side and couldnt help laughing (an Ibanez Sr 300DX and a Warwick Corvette 6) the four feels so much less - though its just 2 strings less... - and smaller and like a toy that i only use my 6 now. But i can go back to my 4 if i want, only the plucking is a bit bad when i try to play fast...