Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

six string suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McCalister999, Jun 27, 2005.

1. I'm looking into buying a six string but I have little money. Can anyone suggest a decent six string for low cost?

2. +1 on rondomusic.net

Take a look at the Brice HXB 406

3. what about the douglas? not that the Brice is out of my pricerange though.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Brice's are excellent for the money.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If I were looking for a six string on a budget I'd be looking hard at that Douglas. It probably needs a setup. Look for some of the other Brice threads in the last few days.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Dean Edge Q6. Nice, very nice.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Those Brice HBX's look like they have bridges in the style of Hipshot A bridges, in that you have to relieve the string tension to adjust intonation. However, when I asked Kurt he told me that there were screws at the tail end of the bridge to adjust intonation (much like a Fender bridge). Can anyone confirm/deny this?

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Really? $300 or so used?

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've owned a Dean Edge and I currently own a Brice. The Dean is the better bass all across the board. But the Brice is still nice.

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    $300 won't get you *much* of a 6-string. Gotta save up and increase the budget some more.

I did get a nice Samick Fairlane 6 used for $300. Sweet instrument, but I later sold it to a friend. And in that same store I saw a Peavey Fury 6 for $375 and that's an incredible instrument that looks, feels, and sounds like a more expensive bass.

ESP's LTD B206 is also a budget 6 worth considering, especially now that the '05 models have EMG pickups rather than ESP pickups.

The Ibanez SR506 is also a very nice bass for the price.

11. ummm maybe used or just expand your price range a tid-bit (it's better to wait and buy then to impulse buy beleive me) and go for a Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 I tried them and BTB406qm and I like the Schecter good luck

12. Well, I'm looking new. I tend to knock the **** outta my own basses enough, so I'd prefer a new one.

13. I hear what your saying but a 300 DOLLAR sic string will be really not that great just my opinoins

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO, I've played a bunch of sixers and wouldn't go below around $550 for one. The Ibanez SR506 is divinity for this price, and anything below this to me, has been complete and utter garbage. Either lacking severely in electronics, tuning stability, workmanship or something else major.