Six string under 700?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassChase, May 19, 2007.

1. BassChase

BassChase

Nov 22, 2006
    Im looking for a six string bass, under $700. Any suggestions?

2. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Bass Northwest has two used Ibanez Soundgears in right now, a SR506 and a SR1206. Also they have a weird Warmoth creation ... bizarre pickup setup, using 4 jazz pickups instead of the two soapbars the body is routed for. All three of those under $700.

http://www.bassnw.com ... look under Used Basses.

Good luck,
    Liam

3. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
  4. Ibanez BTB406QM !

5. bluegreenturtle

bluegreenturtle

Mar 15, 2003
    Oregon
    Wasn't there a gorgeous Spector for sale in our forum this week for like $495?

6. An Ibanez SR506 shouldn't be much more than that? It's the only six string I've got experience with, but I think it's great, and they've gotten much praise on here for example... do a search about it.

7. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
  8. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    I recommend the Schecter; it plays very well. Schecter also has a different 6 string now, but I've yet to play it.

9. BassChase

BassChase

Nov 22, 2006
    loving the carvin.

10. +1 on the Ibanez SR506. I've had two of them, and they are really a terrific bass. These run about $629 right now, and are more than worth that price. The only reason I don't still have these is because I find it extremely difficult to adapt to 6 strings - maybe someday... Wonderful basses.

11. Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but could I ask the same question only in Europe. from an easier-to-buy things and lack of customs and shipping point of view?

12. That Carvin looks like one hell of a bass for that price.

13. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
  14. I own the SR506 and I love it. You would never expect it to be a 650 dollar bass if you play or hear it. The active bartolini's sound great and it's extremely versatile because of the tone control. Pretty close string spacing though, so it takes a while to get used to slap. I've had mine since Christmas and I still have to work on keeping strings from ringing out, but I expect that is going to happen with any 6 string.

15. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    +1 , The BTB's are really great basses. The preamp on these things are incredibly versatile. They feature a mid freq sweep along with boost and cut. While the SR's are fine basses I prefer the feel and versatility of the BTB's 100%.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You can pick up a used SR506 for anywhere between $300-$400.

I used to own a 506.

The playability on them was very user friendly with the narrow string spacing. It did make slap/pop type work a tad more difficult at first, but eventually, you'll adapt.

The harmonics on this bass rang out like a bell, the bass was very well balanced, the tone is pretty good, it brighter due to the maple body, but you can dial in some extra bottom end to help fatten it up. I've never had a problem cutting through the mix with this bass either.

This is a pretty good 6 string bass guitar. Especially if you can find a good used one.

A couple of other ones you might dig that arent too shabby for the price are the Spector Legend 6 strings, and the Peavey Grind, and if you can find one a used Cirrus BTB.

17. Do Peavey make 6-string cirrus BXPs? I can only find 5 and 4 string BXP cirruses...

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dunno, thats why I said "If you can find one."

I've played the 5 string models a fairly good deal at the shops,comparing them to the cream of the crop Cirrus.

They're not bad basses at all. IMO they have a more modern sound, but have very good solid bottom end. It had a well rounded sound. So do a little research on them and if they do make one, try and see if you can give one a spin, if ya cant, and its in your price range, Id probably take that over the Ibanez.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021