1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Six String Wenge/Maple Neckthrough finally finished!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Pvt.Parts, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Pvt.Parts

Pvt.Parts

Aug 21, 2009
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Came out pretty good I think, Sounds great, looks great and plays great, I just need to sort out a bit of fret buzz and its good to go.
    Bartolini Pickups and preamp
    Hipshot triple lockdown bridge and ultralite tuners.
    I also made the nut out of a deer antler me and my grandpa found while we went on a hike when I was five or six. It's been sitting around all theses years and I thought it'd be cool to use in my bass!
    I'd appreciate constructive criticisms and comments!

The finished product!

[​IMG]

All my progress and mistakes are in this public facebook album.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=159995&id=516637628&l=fbda00c3a2

If that link isn't working just let me know and I'll start copying the pictures into the thread.

What do you think?

2. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    great job! looks beautiful

3. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I like it a lot. Very pretty. And Barts are very nice. I got an Ibanez with wenge neck and mahogany body and the Barts are totally sweet in it. You should post some recordings of it. Id really love to hear what that amount of wenge sounds like. I bet it's a good sweet sound.

4. Looks great!

5. Pvt.Parts

Pvt.Parts

Aug 21, 2009
    Maple Ridge, BC
    I got it pretty close to the sound I was imagining for it.
    Very thick clear lows and "piano" highs with some nice treble.
    The slap tone is spot on for my tastes, has an incredible punch to it. A fellow bassist I'm friends with who I look up to was blown away by the slap tone so that was great to hear.
    As for posting recording, I'm pretty self conscious of my playing and I don't have any decent recording gear at home but there's a studio at school so maybe I'll work up the confidence to post something later.

6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    What's the weight with the wenge body?

7. Just what I was thinking. Seems like it wood be heavy as sh**.

Looks beautiful! :)

8. Pvt.Parts

Pvt.Parts

Aug 21, 2009
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Completely forgot to mention, its hollow.
    Weighs 10 pounds.
    No neck dive either

9. Ah! That was a smart move to make it hollow! It seems to be very well designed!

Even more beautiful! :)

10. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    It looks a lot like an Ibanez to me...definitely a gorgeous one!

11. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    I really like the contrast between the wenge and the maple. Nice job!

12. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    how is the neck (truss rod exposure) repair holding up?

13. blopazone

blopazone

Sep 9, 2009
    Holy crap thats one amazing bass.... speechless... Nice knob configuration too, very quick.

+1

14. Pvt.Parts

Pvt.Parts

Aug 21, 2009
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Thank you, I had some trouble with the control cavity because the body is so small and I had so many pots and electronics it was quite the fit but I was thrilled to see that it looked like a smiley face.

It's not noticeable at all unless you really look closely, I can't feel the epoxy at all while playing and I've been able to adjust the truss rod with absolutely no problems. I was worried it would crack the epoxy or something.

and yeah it's a very similar shape to the ibanez prestige, but the prestige is very very flat so I made this quite round and I changed the shape of the bottom horn I think.... can't really remember.

Thank you for all the positive feedback! :hyper:

15. bottomzone

bottomzone Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    That is very nice!!!! It would be nice to hear some sound clips!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

16. How hollow is it? Is it only lightly chambered on the upper side? or is it seriously hollow?

+1:hyper:

17. Amazing work - that's astounding! I really love the neck laminates, and the contrasts in the wood colours and hardware. Brilliant!

Do you have an estimate of how much it cost to make?

18. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Yeah' do you possibly have pics? Did you hollow it out before you glued the blanks together, then cut out the shape?

19. Pvt.Parts

Pvt.Parts

Aug 21, 2009
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Only the maple is hollow, seemed like too much work to try and route some wenge on both sides away and line up the whole thing. Pretty much the only maple on the body wings is on the sides, between an inch or half inch into the body. Both sides are hollowed, or I guess I should say chambered if hollow is misleading. I weighed the cut out chunks and they were 2.5-3 pounds together so it definitely was worth the little bit of extra effort to do that.

Thank you I hope to be apprenticing soon I'm glad you like my work. This is my second build but there definitely more coming in the near future.
    Wenge and maple always look great together, and to tell you the truth I'm not usually a fan of gold hardware but I couldn't picture black or silver on it.

As for the price (in Canadian dollars)
    Wenge- $200
    Maple was free from my woodshop class
    Pickups and preamp were $500
    Tuners/Bridge and other various hardware worked out to around $400 I think.

I was lucky enough to have parents who really support me in my building so they offered to pay half.

So that's not bad, a six string neck through with barts for $550 out of my own pocket.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020