1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Six-string with good "out-of-the-box" action and overall quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldePhart, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hey all, new guy here. :hyper:

I've been gigging with a Groove Tools GT-5 for about four years now. Love everything about it (it's one of the old ones, made in Korea and back when Bill was really "hands on" with them). Anyway, we've lost our rhythm guitar player and may or may not be replacing him soon, so I've been moving up into the treble strings and well up the neck to do some soft arpeggio fills when we don't need the thundering bass. I'm running out of notes!

I was twenty-seconds away from ordering a GT-7 (even though I really only want a six string) when I found some closeup pictures of the new ones. Holy-moly what a disappointment! Lets just say it was obvious from the pictures that these are not the same basses that came out of Korea. Honestly, until I did some more research and realized that those are indeed the "new" Groove Tools basses I thought the first pics I saw for a used one at MF were of a counterfeit somebody had sent back after ordering a real GT (it doesn't help that MF is still showing pictures of the "old" GT-line with the listings for the new basses)!

Anyway, I now understand why I'd seen a couple of recent reviews panning the fretwork on the GT basses - something that was completely at odds with my experience and expectations.

So, I'm now back to looking at 6-string basses and the field is open. I can spend about $1500 though I would prefer to keep it closer to around $1000. I realize in this price range most of the stuff I'd be seeing is also coming out of Indonesia just like the new Groove Tools basses do - but at least I won't constantly be lamenting the demise of the old GT!

Also, if I'm going to have to level and crown the frets myself to get it right then I'd rather do so after paying $1000 than after paying $1300 for the bass.

The most important things to me are action and playability. Great pickups, etc., are a plus but honestly I can replace the pickups and onboard electronics if need be. Even tuners, if I need to replace them eventually that's okay.

I like a decently low action, and have very low tolerance for fret buzz. (To quantify this, my GT-5 is set at just a hair over 2mm on the bass side with no buzz unless I intentionally try to "tug" at the strings instead of "walking" them.)

So, given that, what would y'all recommend for a new six string? I'd prefer to hear from folks who have actually owned the instruments for a while... :) (One of the drawbacks of places like harmony central is most of the reviews are written in the "glow" of having just received a new toy.)

Thanks all,
    John

2. wawawawa

wawawawa Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Amsterdam
    bump...

I'm interested in any answers to this question too...

Anyone?

Thanks ;-)

3. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I just got a ksd 70s 6 string in the mail yesterday. I will post a quick first impressions review today.

But, I think this is worth looking at