Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

six string with the fender jazz sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan17, Sep 8, 2003.

1. bryan17

bryan17

Apr 28, 2002
    is there a six string bass that has the fender jazz bass sound? ihave an mtd 635. (love it) and a mike lull mv5 (love it). but sometimes i would like my mtd to sound like my jazz. who knows of a six string that sounds like a true jazz?
    thanks

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    have mike build you a 536 with jazz pups. a maple neck and board. alder or ash body. and a passive control unit..there you go instant jazz 6

(i really don't know how close this would sound)

or have a custom shop fender built..they will do anything for ya..a 6 string 70's jazz yummy

steve

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I have a MTD 635,Tulipwood,Maple Neck/Rosewood fretboard,and it mimic's it to the T.It even feels like a Jazz.I said all along that the only way I would consider having a 6-string bass was that it had to have 19mm spacing,and sound/feel like a Fender Jazz and this particular MTD 635 is it.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    an F bass bn6 comes to mind- the closest to a jazz sounding 6 i have heard

love the MTDs, too! but none have been too jazz like.

5. The Zon Sonus 6 might be a possibility as well.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

An Atelier Z 6 string Jazz should do the trick.

I looked, but can't find a pic.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    HotWire makes 'em, too.

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Definitely the F bass 6 for a J-bass sound. I once played a Ken Lawrence with single coils in it that did a nice Marcus sound as well.
    LM

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Try to find something passive with an alder body, single coil pups, and bolt-on maple neck and fingerboard. That should do the trick..

Get Matt at Fbb to build you one. I played xush's at the Bass Summit and it was a sweet bass.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you'd like a modern-looking 6-string with a traditional jazz sound, you could go with a Nordstrand NJ or NJ Deluxe with a pair of Carey's pickups and a cap on the preamp to take a little of the "zing" off of the tone from the active electronics. A couple of guys here at TB have had great success with this setup.

Another option, if you'd like something with more of a traditional look, would be to go with a Benavente Vintage Vortex, custom Fender color, rosewood board, alder body, the whole nine. Either way you would get the jazz look, feel, and tone, with a great deal of craftsmanship and versatility to boot! :)

11. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Hows about a Benavente Vortex 6 (alder body, DiMarzio Ultrajazz pickups):
    [​IMG]

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC