1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Six string with wide string spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by big bad bass, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

I'm looking for a sixer that fits me better than my Yamaha TRB-1006 does. It should have a string spacing wider than 16.5mm.
    The Ibanez BTB676 looks interesting but I have no clue about the string spacing. Any experience or other ideas?

Cheers,
    bbb

2. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    16.5 is considered tight spacing, I would say typical standard spacing at the bridge would be between 18 and 19.

3. Older TRBs were 18 or 19mm if I'm not mistaken.

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Agree. I headed into this thread to recommend a TRB and was surprised that the OP wanted to move from a Yamaha. I didn't know the 1006 had narrower spacing.

5. Yeah, the *1000* series are tight. I went full custom(Stambaugh)w/my own sixer as I couldn't find all the features I wanted on one stock bass.

6. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    Matt Pulcinella does a very good sixer (Barts, Hipshot, etc), for, I believe, about $2000.
    Well worth a look.
    It's my no.1 bass, and all hand built in the good old U S of A.

7. Thanks mates! I'd be keen on a US built bass, but I'm in the good old FR of G ;-)

8. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Don't know what the Rondo equivilent of Brice basses is over by you, but the Brice Z6 Prestige is a very good 18.5mm spaced 6 string. I haven't seen them on Rondo's web site lately (Rondo is the US distributor for SX, Brice, Agile), so they may no longer be made. If you can find an older TRB6, grab it .... great basses :cool:

9. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Another Rondo sixer with wide spacing is the Douglas WOB 826...unfortunately it is also currently out of stock.

10. Same here. The Yamaha is the most comfortable 6er I've ever played.

11. kuma9

kuma9 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Philadelphia Pa
    I have a nice Benavente 6 string for sale. 19mm spacing and 9lbs.......it's listed in the "for sale" forum......

12. Thanks man, think I'll rather go for an older TRB. I do like the sound a lot.

13. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Couldn't do more than 17.5 on a 6.