Six strings for the big boys!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    I was just wondering why the Big guys stray away from true six string basses, hoping you guys can shed some enlightenment.

Fender?(not that Alien Ant farm bass either!1)
    Music Man?
  2. I've also never stayed at a Holiday Inn, but I'd bet that the 'big boys' are making plenty of money w/their current lineup(s), & feel it's wiser to leave less common stuff to the smaller shops.
  3. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    because jaco only needed 4 strings.

I'm going to go hide now.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Also, they don't want to commit the R&D, and the setting-up of assembly lines for instruments of limited demand. For example, Fender even stopped making lefty basses... they say the demand wasn't big enough :spit: (but since I prefer 6-ers and more modern shapes, I don't really care)
    Also, they are not really associated with those instruments.
    When someone says Fender, I think most of us think of a 4-stringer.
  5. -I was thinking all that.
  6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    As for Jaco, can you even imagine how awesome he would've sounded on a six!!?? Who wouldnt buy a Fender Jazz 6 or even a MM Bongo 6. There are a lot of multi stringers out there and even Fender had to eventually go to 5's and active basses, even though they were the last to do so.
  7. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Limited Demand doesn't begin to describe it. A lot of bassists that frequent sites like this do have 6 (or more) string basses. The thing is, I'd say that the majority of bassists are younger, more inexperienced people just looking to play bass in their respective bands. Most people are fine not learning unless they need/want to know it. It's the silent majority that big guys listen to.

This is why Squire Strat & P-Bass packages are so popular. They're cheap, easily accessible, and people just stay with them because they don't have the money to go from a $200 bass package to a $1000+ Conklin 7 String.

Honestly, could you imagine the horror of seeing a Squire 7-String Bass Package at $200 including 6" Practice Amp?

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Nah, I was thinking more like "Feneder Deluxe Jazz 6" or more like that. I heard this same thing years ago before Fender decided to actually do a 5. There were guys saying Fender makes enough money already. It couldnt be that much trouble aiming a bass at the sixers on an order bassis only. Dean sells a truckload of sixes so the demand IS there. Its no different than the active/passive issue, eventually, to compete in those markets you have to. I spoke to Mike Tobias about the Kingstons and Heirs and a six string version, in which he said " I have been working on this for some time. I just cant get them to build a decent pick-up. So I sent them back or else I end up here with a whole buch of basses that I dont like". I think there are a lot more than just beginners out there who will not buy a Fender bass and amp package.
  9. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I love to see Fender construct a 6-string Fender deluxe Jazz bass
  10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Something to remember is that the demand for basses compared to the demand for guitars is small to begin with. So, when you talk about specialty basses in comparison to the main line of strats and other guitars, the numbers just aren't large enough to make it worth their time.

However, not all big companies have looked at it this way. You can get a 6-string Yamaha.
  11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I think part of it is the R&D. IMO the 6 is a very different instrument than the 4 requiring a lot of work to create an instrument that is not a boat oar. As always... if the market asks for it they WILL build it.
  12. Fender doesn't sell THAT many 5 strings either. Many people would never buy a Fender 5 string since they go to Fenders for pure conservative feel and tone. Fenders really are associated with 4 strings and that perfect neck. Look at Will Lee... he's got his Sadowsky 5 strings, reliable and versatile. He will pull out a passive Fender once in a while to get that tone in the studio or even live, but that's usually when he or the producer has a very specific idea of the bass tone being "Fender". Not to mention that Fenders don't have the best reputation when it comes to B strings.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've seen a bunch of Fender fives.
  14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I swear Sadowsky needs to make a six.
  15. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers

I'd like to see them make a 6-string version of the MB line. I had an early 90s MIJ Fender MB-5 and it was a kick-ass passive bass.
  16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That would be nice . . . But then I'd have two problems: major GAS and I'd have to learn to play a six. :D They might have to change the shape of the head, too.

As for a Steinberger six, I have enough trouble getting strings for my 4-banger. Imagine how tough it would be to find a set of six double ball end strings . . . :eek:
  17. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    maybe not in your neck of the woods,but there are a plethora of Fender 5's being used here in Tampa,and I'm sure a lot of other states also, hell just about every music store here in town who carries Fender,has a waiting list for the American deluxe 5,and the MM5.
  18. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender made a 6 string under the "Heartfield" name a few years back. Some of them did have the Fender logo on them, quality is comprable to modern MIJ Fenders. They also sell 6-string string sets (which BTW are fantastic IMO)!!! It is curious that they don't have 6 string basses in their lineup. Can you imagine a Roscoe Beck 6?