Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

six strings passive pickup with jazz approach

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pc, Dec 18, 2003.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I'm planning to start a custom in January, and the luthier's default pickups are the mass produced kent armstrong (not the hand-made). I am planning to throw in a BTB01 and a pair of jazz-like pickups.

My problem is: Which 6 string pickup has this "classic" jazz tone?

I have a jazz5 with Duncans SJ-5S and these pickups have the exact tone I want. I was thinking about barts P4, does it nail this tone with single coil selected?

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    P4's are not for a jazz bass tone, they sound great but not like a jazz bass. I had some Aero single coils in a 5 that had an amazing jbass sound, including the single coil hum. But if you want that vintage tone they're mazing.

3. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Aero was the first name that came to my mind when i decided to build a sixer... but i think it would be easier to get a ready to use pickup rather than have a custom built.

I've sent them an email anyway, only by curiosity...;)

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I see what you mean, but I would respectfully disagree. This is a *custom*--it's your chance to get things exactly the way you want them. I suggest that it might be a mistake just to go with a ready-to-use pickup simply because it's easier. Why take a shortcut? Why not go for the best you can get (and afford)?

FWIW, I've heard very good things about Aero. You might also think about Villex (www.villex.com). Do a search around here; there are a couple of people who've tried them. Supposedly they don't even need a preamp.

5. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Two suggestions: Bartolini G6 or Villex. Both are narrow spilt coil, with the right placement you should get a nice jazz bass tone.

take care
    PL

6. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

This G6 seems to be a nice pickup, I even took it as an option, but will be impossible to get them here. To import one of them is better try the Aeros!

Anyway. I've sent an email to Larry @ Aero. Let's see how this will work out.

I've played a bass with P4s And liked the tone, but couldn't find if it had single coil as potions (it was an used one and the guy @ the store knew nothing about it too)

I'm thinking about Ken Lawrence and Kent Armstrong (custom) as options. Any comments on them?

7. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I don't know how quickly you need the info, but I'll have a 7 string done soon with Villex. I have DC45 in a 6 right now and maybe a conklin GT7, I'll have a good idea of each pickup vibe...

good luck!
    PL

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hi pc, I have a Ken Lawrence bass and it's awesome, I think you mean Bill Lawrence for pickups though and I actually think there are two companies using that name or similar, just to make things even more difficult ;)

9. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I am planning to put the deposit on february. thanks, man!

10. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    :D :D I posted yesterday a pic from a Ken Lawrence in my flog and got confuse with the names... :bassist:

11. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I received my GT7... now keep in mind that I'm comparing 2 very different beasts. My 6 is a fretless with an ebony board, maple neck through, 35 inch scale and an swamp ash body. This bass as the EMGs. I find it to be very even with maybe a small bump in the high mids. It's a very clear bass with harmonics everywhere. They do a good job picking up those high frequencies.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised by the GT7, it's strenght aren't were I expected them. I thought the highs would be a bit smoother, subdued then they actually are. Compared to my 6, the low and low mids are stronger, the hih mids aren't nearly as present. They blend very nicely with the highs, wich are much less presentthan no my 6.

For the Villex pickups, there's always this thread that might help.Villex

hope it helps a bit
    take care
    PL

12. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Thanks for the update! I've decided going with the Armstrongs. I've talked to the luthier the week before christmas and he told me that he has A/B'd both pickups and he found the korean pickups quite similar to the hand built ones. And they come with 4 wire, giving a lot of possibilities (single coil, series, parallel). He told me that he would never put bad stuff on his basses. I really have to give him some credit because he is one of the best luthiers here (if not the best).

The EMGs are too modern to me. I had a korean Spector-like bass which I put 40DCs and and BQC preamp. No matter how much I dialed those knobs, I never got rig of that hifi-ness. Even with the rosewood fingerboard and TI jazz rounds. The Villex sound clips I've heard sound quite similar to the EMGs... not my cup of tea.

13. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't be deceived by the soundclips. The Villex pickups sound nothing like EMGs--they are much better in my opinion. Much more organic and not nearly as brittle or harsh.