Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Six strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, I looked for a long time in the archives...didn't find any threads on Six string strings...so, what would you reccomend for six? I'm looking at (idealy) something like 35-40 to 130-135 I don't know about the gauge of the High C I want, but I imagine I'd like a heavier gauge (I usually see 30-35)...But again, I'm not sure...who would you reccomend as a supplier of sixes?

2. Ken Smith makes great six string packages and D'Addario has many fine packages as well. D'Addario's are probably easier to come by.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What gauges do you use? And on what bass? (I could have sworn you said you are a sixer...)

4. D'Addario makes my strings for free in custom gauges I have one of my sixes (Zon) outfitted with:

.030 C
    .045 G
    .045 D
    .085 A
    .085 E
    .130 B

I like them small in the middle.

A normal D is about .060 or something and a normal E is about a .100

Ken Smith makes excellent strings also, but D'Addario makes em for me so I can't complain.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think my Smith taper-core set is .028 to .128. Great roundwound strings, very bright. I use 'em on a Ken Smith BSR6 GN.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hmmm, I was trying to get them to come up with a 7 string set for me, and noticed on the FAQ on their website the following:

Do you do Custom Orders?
    Regrettably we’re not in a position to produce custom orders. We do stock a wide range of musical accessories that can be used on most instruments. Unfortunately, custom orders usually require us to purchase large amounts of materials for small orders; additionally our machines are often not set up to manufacture custom products. We’re sorry we can’t provide you with this service at the present time.

but you've been humiliated enough in the past few days, what with everyone figuring out what kind of bullsh*t artist you are......

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I found that out after I went ahead and asked him...feel kinda stupid about that, but hey...at least he's (was) a reliable source of entertainment, right?

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not to mention the fact that he claimed to have custom gauges that - surprise surprise - were exactly the same whacked out gauges that les claypool used to use :rolleyes: nothing like a bs artist who doesn't have an imagination.

i hope he comes back sometime :D

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hillbilly ON:
    Ya'll come back now, y'hear?
    Hillbilly OFF:

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm sure that he'll be back, but not under that name.