six strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the-rin, Apr 23, 2002.

1. the-rin

Apr 22, 2002
    hey i was wondering, do any of you have any advice for a four stringer looking to upgrade to a six? I'm looking for the best value on an entry level 6, but i'm kind of at a loss as to where to start. So if you've got any advice it'd be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    We'd be able to help you better if you filled out your profile...

You can look for a used Carvin LB-76 or a Peavey TL-6 (like the one I have:D). I haven't tried any others, so those are the ones I'd recomend.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Big Wheel made some good recommendations. To those I will add a used Peavey Cirrus 6.

It would be most helpful if we knew what your price range is, and what kind of music you will be playing on the 6.
  4. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, sorry to barge into your thread with some questions but it's about the same thing you're asking...anyways.. I too am looking for a nice entry level six to play around on and see if I can dig it. I am into jamming hip-hop/jazz/funk/little bit of rock in there. I'd like the price under 500( i dig used gear). I like the sound of my MTD K-4, but that's what I'd be trading for the 6. I don't plan on using the B too much so it's not super important that it's extra tight. Thanks, Ryan

Edit: Also, how does the Cort Curbow 6 with the Bartolini MM style pu and MK1 electronics hold up?
  5. the-rin

Apr 22, 2002
    im looking at a price range between $500 and $1000. I play mostly rock/a little bit of funk/and a little bit metal.
    thanks for the help guys

p.s. do any of you know if a tobias toby pro-6 would be worthwhile?
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    remember one thing.. PRACTICE.. :)

7. I like playing 5 stings I like having that b string and the sound you get from it. I have tried medding around with Jeff's cirrus 6 string and my hands can't hand it.:D :rolleyes:
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I second the Peavey Cirrus.

If you want something a bit less expensive than in the$1300-$1500 that the Cirrus costs. You can always look over Ibanez SR406, not the best 6 on the market, as far as tonality goes, not the worst either, but they are very easy to play , and not all that expensive.