Sixer @ ~ $1500 - 2k?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've been playing mostly sixers recently, and I currently have three; a Warwick Thumb BO 6, a Douglas sixer that I forget the model # of, but it was cheap, and a Washburn XB926. The Washburn is a beautiful, well-constructed instrument, but its string spacing is so radically different than the other two that it's going away. In the past I've had others, most notably a Modulus Q6 that was a fantastic instrument.

I've found that I prefer 34" to 35" basses just for comfort, although I *might* be willing to try a 35" bass again. So, here is the list I've come up with in the specified price range:

-Carvin Icon
    -MusicMan Bongo 6
    -Another Warwick, most likely used
    -Possibly a used Roscoe
    -Maybe another used Modulus

Thoughts/comments/flames/etc.?

2. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Wow, nobody? (sniffs armpits) What's up?

3. You might hate me for saying this, but Ibanez SR706. I will be selling my Warwick Thumb NT 5 soon just to buy the ibanez...it's just all around better in every way (IMO).

4. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    I'd say the bongo 6.

5. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    Better for you, maybe. Ultimately everything is subjective. Although I do agree that ibanez 6ers are incredible basses, I've loved the sound and feel of every one I've played.
    OP, on your list I've gotta go with the bongo 6. I've played a bongo 4 and a 5 and they sound amazing, with the 4 band EQ they're extremely versatile instruments.

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, to be honest, I've had some Ibanezes, and they're not really my thing. For a short time I had an Ibanez SR3006 (I think) Prestige with the Barts and everything, but the sound didn't really thrill me. Not sure why I couldn't get a sound I liked out of it, but I'm probably not going in that direction this time.

I'm kind of leaning toward the Bongo 6, but I definitely haven't made my mind up at this point.

7. Spector Euro 6, and get used to the 35. Its only another inch

8. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Carvin LB76 and XB76. The XB76 is a 35.25" scale but the instrument is the same length as the 34". The bridge is shifted back 1.25".

9. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, I went out and played a few basses today. At my local GC, they didn't have any Bongos, so I tried a couple of 5 string Stingrays. It reminded me that I'm not a big fan of Ernie Ball basses. I've had a couple of Stingrays in the past, and they're fine, but not really my thing.

I swung by the Carvin factory, and I was really surprised. They had a couple of beautiful Bunny Brunel 6ers there, and I've never tried one of those before. Tried it, and found that the string spacing is a little wide for me. Tried an LB 76 with the J-J pups, and it was OK, nice and light. B string not overly exciting, but maybe it would sound great with a set of Circle K's. Then the guy said he had a couple of XB76's in the back, and maybe he could bring them out. He did. One was stealth black, i.e., black body, ebony board, black hardware. This one had the newer radiused soapbars. It was also OK. Then I tried the other XB76, which was dragonburst over quilt, with the HB2/single coil combination. Also nice. However, I didn't really like the 2 XB's, for a couple of reasons: one, they were all walnut, with walnut/maple five-piece necks. I don't really like the sound of walnut as much as I like the "traditional" woods of alder, ash, and maple. Secondly, I liked the 34" scale of the LB's and their 24 frets vs. 22. The dragon burst XB was very attractive, but it was also $1800, and when you get into that range, there are a lot of basses to choose from.

I've been discussing a nice-looking MTD 635 with a seller at a very nice (used) price, but I don't know how that will work out. If it doesn't happen, who knows?

Any suggestions still welcome.

10. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Bongo 6

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Even if you don't like Stingray's, the Bongos are worth finding and putting some time into to see if you like them. They're an entirely different beast from the Stingrays and Sterlings.

12. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    +1. I like Music Man basses, but the Bongo is a much smoother, more responsive, bigger sounding instrument than the Stingray or Sterling. Not as bug as a P bass, but still a huge sounding, yet articulate instrument, kind of in a league of it's own with production basses.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say look for a Yamaha TRB6 or TRB6P (Piezo), or a TRB6II, all of these can be had for under $1,500, sometimes well under $1,500. I also recommend looking for a Peavey TL-6 or a Peavey Cirrus 6.

14. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    This was going to be my suggestion also. Yamaha TRBs are top quality basses in every way. They do have large bodies and can be a little heavy...if you care.

15. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    There is a 6 strings Roscoe used on Bass Central. $1600, 7.5 lbs, good looking ; it could worth checking it out !

16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    yep, keep trying them!

I would urge you to be sure to try before you buy anything:

1. Bongo - 6

2. Used Modulus Q6

3. Used Ken Smith 6 string.

My Modulus has THE best B string (35" scale) of any bass I own or have ever played. Period. My Ken Smith B string is virtually as good (34" scale). And a bongo bass is SO unique you MUST give it a chance to see if it just might be for you.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021