Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sixes with tight spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've always been enamored with the possibilities of the 6 string bass, but I don't like the wide spacing found on most of them. Anyone know of and have pics of a six with a tight spacing? Post 'em!

[​IMG]

That's the kind of spacing I could handle.

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    im not even sure what price range your looking at, but the ibanez SR prestige 6-ers have a 16.5mm spacing. thats the smallest string spacing ive seen so far.

that is one ugly pickup routing.

3. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry for a very small hijack, but where is string spacing measured? I have a firend with a 6er but I'm not sure where to measure the spacing. If I know, I can measure it and report back.

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Typically are actually two places to measure what's referred to as "string spacing" - at the nut and at the bridge. Both are useful as nut spacing is helpful for RH fingering, however, IMO most people when asking for string spacing measurement are asking for bridge spacing as it relates to LH techniques such as fingerstyle playing and slapping/popping which some find easier on wider spacing. It's usually measured either from the center of the string width to the next string center or from the "bottom-to-bottom (i.e. from the bottom edge of the B string to the bottom edge of the E, etc.) Unless a player has a custom setup with tighter spacing on the outer strings (fairly unusual in my experience) it should be equal for all the strings. Manufactures will use both English and Metric measurements to spacing, I tend to prefer metric for the ease of "instant comparison" it provides.

As modern ERBs (5+ strings) have developed a semblance of uniformity, the fairly wide 19mm @ the bridge is considered "standard" as it corresponds equally to most four-strings. 17.5mm is also commonly used as a "medium" spacing, and the narrow 16.5mm is seen on most SR-line Ibanez and many custom 6+ basses.

I would imagine that is because that was the third fretless (later converted to fretted) CT built and was sitting in his closet for years before Les purchased it. Give his liking for EMG pups, it's more than likely it was a retrofit to the bass and thus the oversized routing.

6. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    That would be the first 6 string fretless. Carl didn't like it because of the thin neck, but les loved it, so Carl added frets and sold it to les.

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Carvins have close string spacing, about .640" (roughly 16 mm) at the bridge.

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Never played a Carvin 6, but my old Carvin 5 had really tight spacing. I imagine their 6'ers are on par with that. Peavey Cirrus 6'ers aren't particularly wide either.