Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sixstrings and truss rods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sixstringer506, Feb 19, 2002.

1. how many truss rods does your six have ? im curious to know if all sixstring basss use double truss rods ? im goin to build my own bass and im wodering if i can get away with a single rod setup.
    any info or opinions would be very cool thanks

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My MTD 635 has one.

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My Zon has none

4. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    iv got a alvarez its got two, works well if you ask me but what do i know

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    my curbow has two...and has graphite reinforcement...and it's made of rockwood. this baby ain't going nowhere! (taseteful use of double negative) hee hee

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've always felt that if you're working with a wood neck on a 6+ string bass, it's a good idea to have control over the whole neck. Both of my 6's are dual truss rod basses, and I've found it to be helpful in getting a good setup, as the tension on one side is different from the tension on the other.

That said, guys like Mike Tobias definitely know what the heck they're doing (hell, Mike TAUGHT the guys that built my 6's!!!). Also, Keith Roscoe makes some very nice 6's with single rods that play amazingly good.

Whadda I know???? :D

7. If i'm not mistaking my Dean has 2

8. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    My modulus has one. :D

9. do zons not have trussrods?

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yes, they don't.

11. Pedulla MVPs have one truss rod. So do Foderas. So do Ibanez. If I were building, I'd consider two. What could it hurt as long as they're installed properly. It would be nice to have control over both sides of the fingerboard.

I do have to say that I've never had any trouble whatsoever with single rods on sixes however - in over 10 years of playing them professionally. I've travelled from the cool Pacific N.W. to N.Y.C. in its hot humid summer weather and never had to adjust the Ibanez SR 406.

I'd be interested to hear of any known DISadvantages with double rods. Anybody?

12. whoa- are they that stable? I can't imagine why they wouldn't put a truss rod in there.

13. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I suppose one disadvantage could be, that two rods makes the neck heavier, messing up the balance.

14. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Zons do not have a truss rod because they have a graphite neck.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've had one since '97 and it hasn't budged so yes, they are that stable.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    While NOTHING is fool-proof, the composite necks are very unlikely to do anything like twist or bow. The reason that Modulus puts a "truss rod" in their bass is to allow the individual to adjust the amount of relief in the neck. Luckily, the Zon neck is what I consider to be perfect, so I have no need for a rod in mine.

Short version: YES.

17. cool thanx for the replys all . i think i am going to go with two rods in my new sixer .im still in the design stage right now but im close to heading to the lumber yard

18. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Hi Gard...I would suspect that one would probably strip their truss rod before a graphite neck would shift.

Also, why would someone want to change the relief on a Mod or Zon? I always wondered this. If you have no fret buzz with "thru the neck" action as most Zons and Mods do, why do you need to make the bass more convex/concave?

-pd