1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sixties TV Performances.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gitaaroverlast, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I have always wondered if they where really playing here and the original recording of the song was put over the footage of a live performance for TV, or if they where just miming all along...

Does anybody here know more about this? I'm guessing the first...

Rolling Stones - Not Fade Away (The Mike Douglas Show 1964) - YouTube

Same counts for other vids just like this, from both the Stones, and other bands.

Greets,

T.

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    A lot of them were lip synched (mimed); no visible amps and no cables to electric instruments gave that away (did the producers actually think no one would notice?). The performances on the Ed Sullivan show were live, though.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    WHAT? You mean it wasn't really the Partridge Family playing those tunes on the show?

My childhood has been ruined.

;)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and sometimes, only the lead vocal was live.
    You will hear music that is the recording with obviously different vocals.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Doors bit him in the ass...
    ;)

6. He needed bit! And Jim was just the guy to do it!

7. Watched it carefully....I'd say you were seeing the real deal on this one.

The lip synchers were pretty obvious as someone was saying no amps....no cables in the guitars way before FM wireless, etc.

8. Sometimes what you saw in the 60s was a combination of studio pre-recorded with something live on stage. Usually pre-recorded instruments with live vocals. It's pretty easy to spot. Most musicians are worse at play-synching than they are at lip-synching.

Basically if something sounds too good, or two much like the original, and things aren't perfectly synched up in the video, there's a background track involved.

However, that was not the case with The Beatles' Ed Sullivan show perfomances.

9. It really depends on the specific programme and the specific instance...

Sometimes a band would just mime along to the original studio recording. Sometimes they would sing along on top of the original recording while miming their instruments. Sometimes they would record a unique session version of the song at the TV studio prior to broadcast and then mime along either partially (sometimes vocals and even drums would be played live) or totally to the playback. Sometimes it would be completely live.

If I had to guess about that particular Rolling Stones appearance, I would say it was live.

When the band I was in appeared on the Uncle Floyd show back in the 1990's, we mimed to the original studio recording of the song we were doing.

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Like this one
    SAM THE SHAM AND THE PHARAOHS - YouTube

11. My Dad was a T.V. repairman, and also worked at the local stations (CHSJ) tower for a time. One night we were watching some show, (not Sullivan), and I asked him why they were lip syncing the song, it was that obvious. He explained, in those days, the studio lights would wreak havok on instrument amps, what with all kinds of odd RF and EM signals floating around. It wasn't bad on the mics, as they were sent to the main mix, so many times it was a combination of pre recorded instrument tracks along with live mics. Sort of like karaoke today.
    In later years, as the sound boards got better, they had instruments plugged into the board through discrete inputs set up in the platforms. That's why on some vids you see the cables disappear in behind risers and the like.
    As far as drummers go, many times they were live as well, but played softly, so they wouldn't overide the trackback.

Then there were some shows, IE: Don Messers Jubilliee, that were perfomed live.It was a Country/Western show, so all the instruments were acoustic, no amps were needed, and the boom mics picked everything up.
    Heard many a mistake on that show, but the players kept going anyway. :bassist:

12. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    That Stones performance looks pretty live to me.

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    it's pretty sad that back then they had to lip sync but these days no one has to yet some still do.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  15. I absolutely love watching old Who tv appearances for this one reason.
    Keith hated miming so he made it incredibly obvious he wasn't really playing. Whereas John and Roger tried to be as professional as possible.

Every tv performance they did back in that era has something hilarious in it if you watch it, such as one instance they used a version of I'm A Boy with an extra verse and Roger didn't know and cracked up on stage.

16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    This Who TV performance is a classic

The Who - My Generation - YouTube

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    My favorite dead giveaway was always the guitars with no cords coming out of them, in an era well before any guitarists were wireless.

18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Ever see Cream's TV performance of "I feel free?" Jack Bruce is holding a guitar!

19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    You must be referring to this one.

Cream - I Feel Free - YouTube

20. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx