SIze does matter!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Georgia Watt, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Georgia Watt

Georgia Watt Guest

Mar 2, 2002
    Perhaps an unusual question...

I've decided to purchase an Artiste SB100 double bass - a fairy nice entry model - but now I have a bit of a dilema:

Do I go with the standard 3/4 size or the optional (and yet, for the same cost) 4/4 with a 3/4 neck??

Any ideas? Would like to hear all pros & cons.
  2. Seems to me that a "4/4 with a 3/4 neck" would give you a C# or C neck instead of a D. This means the heel and the shoulders get in the way sooner as you go into upper positions. Also, even if you get used to it, you'll be all screwed up if you play another bass with a standard neck.
    Just speculating, because I don't know what they do with string length and bridge placement.
    Bottom line is, what's the point?
    You buy a 3/4, you have the standard; no resale problems. Unless they give you the opportunity to play and hear both, side by side, there's risk. I don't think it's worth it.
  3. How's that?
  4. The geometry changes. Presumably the string length is shorter, and if the bridge stays in the same place, D advances toward the bridge, and when the thumb hits the curve at the heel, D is not where you expect it to be. No?
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I prefer the body a bit more in the way, as long as the shape of the shoulders is friendly. Less uncharted territory in the middle of the lower half of the neck.