Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Size of clubs in your area

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nil, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Kinda curious on what size clubs/bars/venues your TB-lot have in your respective areas, and what size places you play (excluding stadiums and such).

For example, most "real" live venues (as in more a purpose-built club, not just a bar that has a resident band) here in Auckland are a 200-800 person capacity (with a couple of smaller 50-odd person spots).

The main spots that we end up playing are usually either a 300-capacity venue, or an 800-capacity venue.

Why am I asking? To marry up people's opinions, stories, etc with the venue they play in...

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I gig in the Boston, MA area (USA). I play mostly blues, swing or folk gigs, I haven't played in a rock band or venue for many years.

Clubs range from under 100 people to close to 1000, but most hold about 200.

Maybe 1/4 of the gigs I do are actually in restaurants where they either have a small "back room" or they just move some tables out of the way to set up the band. Two of these have stages but seat diners up there until an hour before the show!

During the summer there are a number of festival gigs where you can play to a few thousand people.

I also do some folk or swing gigs in church or veterans halls playing for dancers. These can range from 50-300 people.

About half the gigs I do there is no PA provided. Of the other half, half of them are small "vocals only" systems (usually the band must bring the mikes and run the system). Only about a quarter of my gigs are in rooms with large PAs and a sound man.

3. Hmm.. variable.. we have a couple of medium-clubs in my hometown who fit up to 100 people.. then there's some youth-hangout centers with about 100 heads-capacity each. and there's one 250-head concert-hall

but in another nearby town, Tilburg, there's a big concert hall ( http://www.013web.nl/english/index.htm ) with 1 x 350, 1 x 150 and 1 x 2200 heads capacity.

4. Well I live in Dallas,Tx. most of the clubs here have a capacity of around 300 to 500. When they are packed they can get up to 600 in. We have a couple place that have a capacity of 1,000 to 2,000 but we only have maybe 3 or 4 like that.

5. The clubs up here are relatively few and can hold maybe 100 people. There's a good sized venue that can hold about 200-300. Then there's the stadiums. But staying with the topic, the clubs hold around 100 people at most.