Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Size of holes drilled in the head to fit tuners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Aug 9, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    ...the Basshead, that is.:D
    Id like to buy the lightest set of hipshottuners for my Warmothproject 4-string P-bass. This is the info from their site:
    HB6C Ultralite Clover Key with ½” dia. String post: 47 grams

Will they fit a Warmothneck or do I have to customorder one from them?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    From memory, the 1/2" post UltraLites fit a 11/16" hole like a Fender MIA would have, while the 3/8" post "standard" UltraLites fit a either a 5/8" or 9/16" hole, as is typical on most other basses. Which does your neck have?

Measure twice, buy once. ;)

I have the 3/8" ones on my Tacoma Thunderchief ABG, where they really help the neck dive. I have a set of the 1/2" posts coming in next week for my Moses unlined fretless neck I just plopped on my MIA Jazz. These are great tuners, and are *very* light in weight.

3. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Speaking of tuners, does anyone know of light-weight replacement tuners for a J style bass? That would help with the neck diving. Locking tuners would be nice too.:D

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    See above...but I'm not aware of any lightweight locking tuning machines for bass. Why would you want locking machines, anyway? Planning on putting a Floyd Rose on your J? ;)

5. afaik, tuner-holes are always 10mm ( normal ) or 17mm ( big-ass fender tuners )

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Correct for the larger Fenders, but my micrometer says the smaller UltraLites are 9/16" (14mm) over the bushing.