Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Size of pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by godsmack, Jul 1, 2001.

1. hello everyone, i was wondering what size mm of pick you all use? if you do use a pick.

2. Im not sure of the actual thickness, but I play with medium Fender picks.

3. I think it's .76 mm. I don't really like it any other thickness.

4. Jim Dunlop: grey USA Nylon 73 mm.

5. oh really?, i use a 1.50 mm and a 1.35... do the thin ones work good as well?

6. ..its not the size of the pick that matters, its how you use it. heh. no, really, i use a fender heavy pick when i use one. i'm not sure of the exact thickness though.

7. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Pickboy 1.00 mm, I can't play with anything else, not even a dunlop 1.00 mm.

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I don´t know the thickness, but the best pick that I've used, and am still using is Ernie Ball - USA Nylon, Heavy. Got about 5 of them in my pocket. :D

9. I like a little 'snap' with my pick.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't play bass with a pick, but on my acoustic guitar, a thinner pick gives you a little brighter tone, a thicker pick is a little "thuddier." the string strike is a little more distinctive.

11. The only one I have tried so far is a Gibson Heavy.

12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I use medium, 1.00 I think..

13. I like medium's myself...it just depends on what you like though I think. The medium gives me the right amount of control for my hand strength or whatever it is.

14. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Jim Dunlop USA "Big Stubby" 2.0mm

15. onadowner

onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Texas
    I mostly finger, but....when I do pick I use Dunlop Gator Grips (.58 or 2.0 depending on how clumsy I'm feeling that day :p).

16. Dunlop 1.14mm ( dark pink ones )

I have 50 of them in a plastic bag in my hardshell, because for some reason at least 2 or 3 get lost during rehearsal / gig..