Size of shows/concerts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChrisIsOurTime, Jan 18, 2002.

1. ChrisIsOurTime

Oct 9, 2001
    I was wondering what type and size of shows people on here play and how powerful an amp you use for the situation. I notice alot of people refering to 300-400 watt amps as small. I've performed in some places that fit at least a thousand people playing in a hardcore band with 2 guitarists and a loud drummer and I never had a problem using a 350 watt SS head and a 410 cab. Just wondering when something twice as powerful really becomes necessary?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have played a rehearsal in a small room with 220w and needed more !!!

I have played a football stadium with a 60w combo and was told to turn down to 2 cos I was bleeding through the flute mic!

If it works...

Many guitarists think that they have to have a 100w Marshall stack for pubs and clubs and it goes downhill from there. With my guitarist hat on I use a 15w combo (I stll cannot run it on full most of the time).
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When it comes to needing volume, I look to more speakers first and worry about power second.

As long as the speakers aren't underpowered, speakers are what really makes the difference.

CS - I know what you mean about the 100W Marshalls where a much smaller amp would do just fine. Tues. night I played for the first time with a guy who used every watt of his 100W Marshall, rack effects, and a preamp to boot. I don't even know why he bothered to play with other musicians. :rolleyes:
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Rick whisper "Hotplate" in his ears a hundred times
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

:D :D EXCELLENT idea, CS!!! He could certainly afford one.

But I think cranking the Marshall head is some sort testosterone-related thing for him to make up for his small pee pee.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've played some huge (5000+) shows/festivals with my old SWR bass 350 powering my speaker rig, and while i was loud enough, after 6 months it took out the 15" in my triad. now with my IOD/carvin rack - i need to turn the master volume up to about 4 to not need PA support in a 1000 person theatre, and my speakers aren't complaining.

no matter what - carvin poweramps are so cheap and so nice, i'd get a DCM1000 at minimum.