1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Size of Strings for tuning of C, G, C, F

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheJimster, Mar 23, 2006.

1. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Hey guys,

I need to know the dimensions of strings for a Squier Fender Precision 4-string bass guitar for the tuning C G C F. i really like the sound of the bass in this tuning. I've tried it on my regular strings and well their too floppy. I'm odering a 5-string sometime in the near future. So I need to get preped for my next project. This is the tuning Shavo Odadjian plays in and to me it sounds pretty awesome. My bass instructor got his 4-string fixed to where the standard tuning is F# Bb G# Ab. I believe I can't remeber but I know that the lowest string is in F#. But teh strings are giant. So I was wondering what teh size is for that particular tuning.

Thanx Guys,
    Slipknotz

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Try Lowriders...I'm not sure what gauge they are, but they're made for detuning.

3. I've heard that before too but never tried it personally. Is that in refernce to the stainless steel or the nickle?

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    No string is intrinsically made for detuning any more than any other string is. The key to tension and tuning can be explored to begin with using the D'Addario tension pdf on their site - every D'Addario gauge has a listed tension at various tunings and scale lengths, and that pdf also includes the formula that's used, which can be built into a spreadsheet.

I've often used this info to come up with sets for alternate tunings, balanced-tension sets, etc.

5. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Zzzzzzzzz ... the "Franken-Bass" is tuned F#,B,E,A, and is equipped and adjusted by "Tony the technician" with Conklin strings I ordered. It is also played through the two Fitzmaurice cabinets I built, in hopes of getting those really low "tuba" notes heard. MY (your other teacher).