Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Size problem?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bronson Myers, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Bronson Myers

Bronson Myers

Feb 24, 2002
    OK, I am new to the DB, coming off of cello. I easily play a 4:4 cello, and I am also about 5'8"-10" tall (No tape measurer around to check). I am checking out the school bass tomorrow, and it is a 4:4, and I cannot afford to rent anything. If it is a horrible problem, I might be able to get in contact with the local High School and rent a 3:4 from them, but I doubt they have a 1:2 one them. So if there are any serious problems with playing a bass that big at my size, and if I will need a stool, or something of the like, please responde quickly! Thank you for your time. :rolleyes:

2. Bronson Myers

Bronson Myers

Feb 24, 2002
    Actually, I just got a call from a friend of mine, and now I am not sure if it is a 3:4, a 7:8, or a 4:4

What would be a 'full' size?

3. Bronson Myers

Bronson Myers

Feb 24, 2002
    No replies? :( I am kind of concerned, at least tell me it is alright to use that, I hate stepping into the great blue of bass playing without even a clue as to if what I'm going to be playing is unplayable! Sorry for the insensitivity, but I am very concerned.:rolleyes:

4. Hello Mr. Myers,
    A standard size Double Bass is..3/4. It is doubtful that the Bass in question is a full size "4/4". The 7/8 size is not as common as the 3/4 but they are out there. I myself have a 7/8. If you can find out the Brand of Bass and the Model number the fine folks here can tell you pretty much anything you need to know, but not knowing the type of Bass that can not happen. Look inside the F-hole and try and see a Makers Mark "tag". More than likely it is a poorly set up 3/4 with bad strings:rolleyes: I wish I could help you more....Later
    Dave

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off.......

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Sizing basses can be a black art. However, measure the vibrating string length, from where they leave the nut to where they meet the bridge.

If it measures around 41-42 inches, the bass scale length is equivalent to a 3/4 size bass. Getting down to 38-40 inches, we're talking 1/2 to 5/8. 43 and above gets into 7/8 and 4/4 territory. That's not the only way to judge, but for practical purposes it's a fair guide.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Hi, Bronson.

Speaking from my personal experience, I don't believe that your size will present any problem.

I am only 5' 3" and never considered my size, as related to the bass, to be any problem at all.

With the end pin set in the lowest notch the nut falls a couple of inches above my eyebrows. This feels very comfortable to me.

I play a 3/4, by the way.

There are any number of female bassists who are very near my height that get along very well on DB.

Chances are very good that any bass that you choose will be a 3/4. 7/8 and 4/4 sizes are certainly out there but the vast majority seem to be 3/4.

In any case, you definitely wont need a stool. :)

Hope this is some encouragement to you.

Pkr2

7. Stop worrying about "size". What matters more is string length from nut to bridge. There's no necessary correlation between bass size and string length. Most people can live with a string lenght of 42", maybe 42.5" After 43-43.5, it gets uncomfortable.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    MYERS-BRIGGS,

Ditto the "size doesn't matter" mentality. I met Kristen Korb after she played at the University last week...with her heels off, the top of her head came up to roughly the level of my sternum. She was playing a 3/4 Italian bass with no apparent difficulty. Get a bass that sounds good to you, and you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

FSCOTTTISSUE

9. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Kristin Korb, don't you just wanna pick her and give her a big squeeze. Great bass player, fabulous singer an amazing talent in a very small package!

10. Now, Now Tim. You're a married man.

That lady can do things with a bass and her voice that I could only dream about.

11. Bronson Myers

Bronson Myers

Feb 24, 2002
    Thanks guys! I actually got to try out the base early today, and I didn't really check it out that much, but it plays with a nice tone (lots of sound out of this one, and hopefully it will stay that way!:D ) I am really comfortable playing it, and actually I had to set it up two notches. It is definitely not a full, 4:4 or a 7:8. MY instructor (middle school level) who doesn't even play a stringed instrument doesn't know his way around a bass well enough to even tune it, so it is up to me. Well anyway, thanks guys, and good luck with your playing. :cool:

12. I'm glad that you feel comfortable with the bass. My and everyone else's recommendation here is to find a reputable teacher that focuses only on teaching the bass. I wish that I had done that when I was your age. I may not have had a thirty year gap in my study of the bass if I had a real bass teacher.

Mark

Tim?

13. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Hey Oldsaw, I am not only married, I'm old and out of shape.

14. .Hey Oldsaw, I am not only married, I'm old and out of shape

Same here,I don`t have a problem with size anymore.............just sustain.

15. LOL