Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mtothetallica, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mtothetallica

mtothetallica

Jul 28, 2005
    ok im 14 years old and i play guitar but i wanna start to play bass just for fun cuz i love the infectious grooves bass sounds and metallica bass solos and all that good stuff that made me love bass but im short for my age im 5'3 and i wanna know if maybe it wouldbe dumb looking of me to be playing bass.....also what would be a good starter bass price range around $100-200...also a price range for amps of $50-100. Thanks for responding to a dumb question. :bassist:

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    first bass SX lol and nice,you are a Robert Trujillo fan,his bass lines in Infectious Grooves are very funky and grooving :bassist:

3. mtothetallica

mtothetallica

Jul 28, 2005
    ya huge fan of him jason newstead and cliff....ok im really new to bass so whats SX...god i feel like a dumbass...i know way more about guitars but i love bass

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

5. mtothetallica

mtothetallica

Jul 28, 2005
    thanks now about me being short....do u think ppl would laugh if i did a gig and i was just a little guy with a bass?

6. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yeah you can't beat the p bass copies for starter basses. I myself started out on a LTD but I had a little more money to spend. Looking back I'm glad I did buy a bass I grew into, I looked forward to playing it everyday. Personally, I'd say save some money and buy a bass you really want (within reason ;) ) Seems like everyone around here has at least one 1k+ bass laying around :D

No I don't think people will laugh. Just make sure you don't screw up. Then they'll have nothing to laugh about. Have some more self confidence. :)

7. mtothetallica

mtothetallica

Jul 28, 2005
    thanks dude...ya..i do have a job which sucks im a dishwasher but hell im 14 and at least i do have a job thats more than some adults can say...but i think im gonna go with a SX bass just cuz its cheap and get a cheap and and just see how i do with it and if i like it ill buy a more expensive one....and if i do decide to stay bass over guitar and join a band as a bass player since bass doesnt always get as much recognition(spelling?) i WILL be having some bass solos :) :bassist:

8. mtothetallica

mtothetallica

Jul 28, 2005
    whoops cheap amp not and

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For amps, anything in the price range you are talking about is only going to be loud enough for practicing on your own, in the bedroom. Unless you get real lucky and find something big and loud, used, for a great deal.

To accompany a loud drummer and distorted guitars, you need at least 150 watts for rehearsal, and 300 for gigs, with PA support. Twice as much wattage would be better, and 4 times as much would be ideal.

You should check out our Amp forum too. Lots of info there on Amps.

10. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I don't think it's laughable that your a short guy with a bass, I think it's laughable that it could be luaghable that your a short guy with a bass... got it?
    SX is the way to go, at least as far as I know. For amps, I had a danelectro nifty seventy amp that I used for the last two years or so until it went kerplunk. It had a real nice sound quality for what it was. If I were in the practice amp market again I'd buy another in a minute. I think they run around 100 new, I could be wrong.