1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sizing Question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by timidbassist, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Well this is going to sound stupid, but since the bass I am using is being rented from school I don't know the size of it. I have been doing a lot of posting in the Orchestral Technique board, but thought this one would fit in better here. Well my question is this...

How do I know what size of a bass I am playin? (I told you it would sound stupid to you guys.) I am curious to know because I am sure in a year or two I will be looking into buying my own so there is no better time than the present to start learning more about them. Is there a way to find this out by measuring or something?

Thanks in advance!
    Davey

2. conte2music

conte2music Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Dobbs Ferry, NY
    This kind of thing isn't totally standard, and there are a lot of gray lines. I would be most concerned with string length(from the bridge to the nut). Chances are that it is around 41.5 inches. Especially if it is a factory made bass like a Kay. The standard size is a 3/4 and I'd be amazed if the one you're playing on is something other than that.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Most likely with a school Bass it is a modern shaped and desigh model. The older classics had no set standards. I will post a sampe of the way to measure a Bass. This way we can tell you what it is. Add the overall height not including the endpin, just the woor head to toe/saddle.

Sample; This Double Bass is a 7/8 size Orchestra Model (74.5" tall)
    Upper Bout: 21 1/4" Belly Length: 45 1/4"
    Center Bout: 15 1/2" String Length: 42"
    Bottom Bout: 27 1/4"

And; This Double Bass is a 3/4 size Flatback
    Upper Bout: 21" Belly Length: 41"
    Center Bout: 14 1/2" String Length: 41 1/4"
    Bottom Bout: 25 1/4"

It's a combination of the height and Body length. The string lengths vary too much by design to measure by.