Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ska band help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Nov 3, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im joing a ska band, and its not a genre i have had to much experience in. I know most of the stuff is walking bass lines, and holding the same note for 8 bars, but is there anything else that would help me in making ska bass lines.

im jsut asking this because i reckon i need more knoweledge in this department. so is there anything essential to know about being in a ska band, or making ska bass lines.

Thanks!

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm in the same boat as kirbs here... Any help would be appreciated. I just wanted to be tagged onto this thread. thanks!

3. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    The best thing you could do is listen to ska all the time 24/7. Immerse yourself in the genre and listen to as many different bands and eras as possible.

4. a-make sure you have a guitar player that understands offbeats.

b-simple two or four bar phrases work the best.

c-pocket pocket pocket groove pocket (keep it simple)

d-don't piss off the skinheads.

5. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    listen to sir horace gentleman. The specials..

6. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    ska is basically fast reggae
    guitar on 2nd and 4th beat
    bass on 1st and 3rd
    leave space for the horns
    keep it simple but dynamic at first
    "less is more"
    check out Madness, Selector, Specials, Beat, Bad Manners, Prince Buster, any early 80`s 2 tone.

Enjoy it its great fun

7. listen to as much as you can, submerse yourself in the music and learn to love it. That way you will be more motivated to play it and play it well.

8. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    If you can find this, any old NO DOUBT live stuff from the late 80's is pretty incredible. Tony Kanal is just amazing. they don't play much Ska anymore though.

Horace from the Specials for sure!!

Let's Go Bowling has a pretty great bassist too. (I forgot his name).

Good luck. :D

9. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Norwood Fisher from FISHBONE is amazing...

Flea and Tony Kanal were both taught a thing or
    to from Norwood.

BONEHEAD FO LIFE..:D

10. The best advice other than anythng said before by all of these people is if you want really good ska bass lines , find out what notes the guitar is playing and play notes that work well with it and just bust it out. ska bass is all about energy, so what i try to do is play either quarter or eighth notes along with the chord the guitar is playing. its really really fun when you get the hang of it. learn how to play and skank at the same time, then you are set!
    -Rob

11. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    How could I forget Matt Freeman when he was in OPERATION IVY. There are some serious ska basslines on their stuff. Check it out. He is great.

12. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I strongly agree with these two guys, already mentioned...

Matt Freeman's in Operation Ivy
    Horace from The Specials (listening to it now actually)

Ska bass doesn't get any better than this!

13. eye4eye

eye4eye

Sep 14, 2002
    Tracy Ca.
    check out link 80 theer skunk but hey it works they have some bad ass ska lines.OoOH and check out no doubt lines, sublime lines, uh the berlin project, buck-o-nine, catch 22, yeah and keep skankin. oh and dont forget your checkered pickboard. Skank out!

14. eye4eye

eye4eye

Sep 14, 2002
    Tracy Ca.
    dam how could i have forgot, Suicide Machines look them up there bass lines are bad ass.

15. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    It takes some time by catch 22 has a nice little walking line in there. I don't really do much walking, so I can't say anything you probably don't already know. Just trying to get from one note to another and having thein between sound smooth.

16. i definetly suggest listening to some Operation Ivy and some Less Than Jake. Ska is all about fun and energy and partying and all that crazyness. and the basslines are especially catchy! i really dont know what to say, although i have played in 2 ska bands....just man, have fun, high energy
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

17. Checkers and plaid are the fashon. Bubbily and bouncy is the feel. Talent is the key. Ska is amazing music (I'm in a ska band) and the bass lines are generally very flowing, yet there is a lot of sticatto (spelling?) notes, which gives it a bit of a bounce, there's a lot to be said for good ska guitarists, and horns. Just let the music take you, get in the groove, and rock! Ska is all about fun!
    Chris