Ska Dorks UNITE!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sock Justice, Jun 6, 2002.

1. That's right, ska dorks...step up and tell everyone your favorite ska (or any of the hundreds of off-shoots...) band, song, and bassline. Cool?

Ok, I'll go first...and probably last...I have no clue if anyone will see this...

For now,

<b>Band: The Hippos

Song: Gun In Your Hand- by the Rx Bandits

Bassline: Hey-The Suicide Machines</b>

As usual, though, they fluctuate.

Edit: P.S. The Hippos beat of the Pilfers by just a thread for favorite band, and that's only because I've listened to the Pilfers albums 8484976 times...anyone else dig the pilfers here?
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Fav band: Reel Big Fish
    Fav song: Take on me
    I also like a few goldfinger songs. Some of them are about nerds who like the prom queens. Freakin hilarous lyrics!!!
  3. Indeed, Reel Big Fish is classic third wave...always a fun listen...

Song:Run Away (also by the chinkees)
    Bassline:Mass Appeal Madness-SHJ

*see sig
  5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Band-Catch 22
    Song-any song from Big Daddy Multitude by Mustard Plug,that cd has some great ska.
    bassline-"cool enough for you" by Five Iron Frenzy or "grow up" by Mustard Plug

I also really like the first 2 Aquabat cd's.There last few arent really even ska.
  6. Pilfers do rock, am I wrong? I think not. It's nice to see some more support, though...I don't knwo a SINGLE person up here that has ever heard of them, unless it was from me. Same with SHJ, as well as the Chinkees...and, just about every other awesome band that I know. You wouldn't believe how many times I've listened to Mass Appeal Madness...I'll listen to it one day, and bam, it's stuck in there for ages. Well, same with most of that cd. That's kind of like "Pay some dues" off of their prior release. Anyway, yeah.

Edit:...typos...the bane of my existence.
  7. My favorite Five Iron Frenzy Bassline would probably have to be "A Flowery Song" or whatever the name is...they have a decent bass player, though, so they have a lot of really catchy lines.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hippos, RBF, SHJ, FIF...all good bands, but why has no one mentioned LESS THAN JAKE! Ok, maybe I'm just a freak and a diehard LTJ fan.

Fave band: Isn't it obvious? LTJ!!
    Fave song: Blue Comb '78 (live) - FIF
    Fave bassline: 3-way tie:
    Someday I Suppose - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Why do all Girls Think They're Fat - RBF
    Crystal 52 (?) - Jefferies Fan Club
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Propagandhi - Ska Sucks

11. my fave ska song would probably be the eulogy
    (a local-ish band) version of walking on sunshine, pretty funny!! oh and the hippo's are mad, i just dont know there stuff very well cos i only heard them on a cd on new years eve!!
  12. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Band: The Slackers
    Song:007/Shantytown (by Desmond Dekker)
    Bassline: Here in Your Bedroom (it's the first ska line I learned, 'k)
  13. Does nobody like The Specials or Madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!
  14. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
  15. How can you not like the Specials!

Oooooo, why do you rig all my phone calls...are you planning a boot leg lp, I dread, dread to think whaaaaat the future may bring etc.....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Toasters are up there too.
  16. I'm actually surprised...I can't believe this post has 15 replies on it...even though at least half of those are my own crappy step-ins. But no matter.

Again, how can you NOT like these people...all very, VERY classic stuff...

In other news, I FINALLY got my copy of the Pilfers S/T cd yesterday! Whoo, and ect. It won't be leaving my cd player for quite awhile. It took me forever to find a copy though, and it came down to mail-ordering a copy from some tiny store in Texas, apparently. Good times.

17. lessthanpunk

May 6, 2002
    ska is my favorite. I love many many bands.. but my favorite ska bassline is probably 9mm and a three piece suit by catch 22. great bassist, but hes no roger from less than jake.

18. Fav Band: Tie between Vandals, Planet Smashers and Sublime

Fav Song: Oi To the World (Vandals), Time Bomb (Rancid)

Fav Bassline: Santeria (Sublime), Oi to the World (No Doubt version, I'm serious)