Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 30, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    it seems as if everyone here hates ska except Dancehallclasher.They say the horns are "annoying" i say they bring more life to the songs and make them more peppy.I mean what can get you in a better mood than ska?If you listen to ska with horns tell me,and if you dont tell me your reasons.
  2. I like ska with horns, and without horns. sure, they can get a little cheesy, but most of the time they add big time.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't hate ska. I don't necessarily like it, but I don't hate it either. The only ska band that I have ever really been exposed to was The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. You know that song about never having to knock on wood? I dug it.
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    even though people call the bosstones sellouts,i still think theyre awesome.i think theres nothing wrong with brining ska to the mainstream,unless you turn pop like no doubt just did...:(
  5. I personally don't like the horns in ska.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I just don't like Ska anyway. Usually seems to me like the bastard offspring of punk, lounge music, and swing. Which unto themselves aren't too bad, but amalgamted...well, no.

Some of it it's ok, like some Goldfinger, Less than Jake, MMBT...
  7. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Aren't Madness ska? They were pretty good. I'm not into it generally, but I played with a ska band a while ago, and they were probably the best band I've ever shared a gig with - they got the whole place (including cynical arse me) moving. So, I'm not a ska fan in particular, but if it's good I'll listen to it.
  8. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars

aer by far the best band for my money

and they were one of the first ska/rock bands,

most of the bands already listed list fishbone as one of their top influences..

Check em out of you get a chance, whether you are a ska fan, a funk fiend, or a thrash junkee you won't be dissapointed
  9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    ive heard alot about them,whats their best song?
  10. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    they don't have a best song, they are all incredible, but you don't really get the experiance and get hooked till you see em live, they blow away everyone else, and ruined every other concert ive seen since, excluding other fishbone shows. Norwood is a mad man on the bass:D
  11. I think ska's really cool...I'm a pretty big fan of ska really.
    I mean there's some pretty cool ska bands around there. One of my favs are the Aquabats, those guys kick ass (sure, they're ska with surf music, but they still kick ass)
  12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah aquabats are awesome.i have fury of the aquabats,i suggest you get it.its their most ska-like cd their other ones are kind of like theres 2 wacky paragraphs that are really funny.i think theyre the funniest band ever,and they dont cuss at all.they just have lyrics that make no sense its so hilarious.the best songs are "cat with 2 heads" and "magic chicken".
  13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  14. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    :eek: me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like ska, and I LOVE the horns!
  16. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Now that some people have admitted to liking ska,what are some bands you guys(or gals) like?
  17. Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sell-Outs!!!!!

First band i was ever in was a Ska\Punk Band. Sadly though, Our drummer dissapeared (actually Moved to arizona) But we played alot of lessthanjake and stuff. Really Dug it. Ska is good stuff.
  18. Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    ska makes me all happy and whats funner than being in a skank pit? :D
  19. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i think ska would be so fun to play,but i dont know anybody that plays trumpet or trombone or sax around here.well not anybody that likes ska and is really into it.alot of people hate playing it and just do it for school.quite sad,why get into an instrument if you dont enjoy playing it?