Ska - Is it gone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well my first proper gigging band is finally starting to take off... And we're a third wave ska band :bassist: Starting with RBF covers, and ska covers of 80s songs. However, we are the only third wave ska band that I know of in pretty much most of South Wales, with the exception of some more minor punk-ska bands. Is this a bad thing, in that ska is going out of fashion... Or a good thing, in that we won't have much competition? I think it's a shame that there aren't many bands trying different things out... Though I guess I was lucky in finding a 15 year old sax player who has a diploma with the ABRSM, and passed grade 8 with distinction! :eek:

PS: We're called Skatological... :bassist:
  2. Umm, yeah, I would have to say ska is pretty much dead. It had to happen eventually, right?

That said, I'm going to see Goldfinger and Reel Big Fish on January 7th and I can't wait! I love RBF. I just remembered that some kids from my old high school started a ska band (The Electrostatics) and are getting pretty popular with the kiddies around town. Ska revival, anyone?
  3. there was a ska show in my city a cuple weeks ago. about 200 people showed up, which was good considering no one postered and it was all done via word of mouth. ska's not dead its just not popular
  4. Ska is pretty much dead, however, its still ace, im seeing Bad Manners tomorrow :D :D
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Get a gig up north a bit and I'll bring some friends to come and see you, maybe you can introduce me to this sax player of yours too :O (I'm 15 too before I get accused of being a pedo). Nah seriously, I love Ska even though it is rather dead, my guitarist slipped me an RBF album a year or so ago and ever since I've loved the music. RBF are playing at Leeds Uni in Febuary, I will hopefully be going to see. I suggest you guys try to get yourselves in an "Academy Unsigned" night at the Academy in Manchester: Unsigned/academyunsigned.html
    You'd need to be playing origionals to get the gig, but if you do that then I'll be there and I'll bring a few mates.

I'd love to play in a Ska band, so would my guitarist but in our year we have no sax or trombone players. There are a few in the year below but still no trombone players, it's just not the same without the massive slides in the music :(. What format is your band?
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i can only hope! :p

my former suitemate was a bassplayer... but played trombone (i think) in a ska band.

my roommate and i didn't like ska (or dave matthews band, but that's another thread), so it was fortunate for us that he only occasionally practiced in his room, which adjoined my roommate's and mine.
  7. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I went to the ska is dead tour at the knitting factory, saw mustard plug, the toasters, supervillains, etc etc.

Ska is dead. I still love it, i wish i had gotten in earlier, but ska is dead.

My little brother started a ska band. I'm jealous. they have like 5 horns.
  8. I think ska is like jam band music, or jazz. Its always going to have fans, its just not in the public eye as much anymore...
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Ska comes and goes, that's why it's call 'waves'. There are still some great bands kicking around; Westbound Train, King Django's projects, the Slackers. I saw Pilfers reunion at the KF a month ago, they might be making a comeback.

And please change your name, please.
  10. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Well that's already true to a certain extent; there are so many different incarnations of ska that each one is in various degrees of decay.

decay is probably the wrong word. :bag:
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Ska is never dead. It's just not in the mainstream. Like in the 80's there were a bunch of good ska bands that toured and played regularly, got good crowds and were club stage mainstays.

Yes, the Rolling Stone 3rd wave mall ska scene is pretty bust, but there are still people out there who understand that 60's, 70's 80's and current ska is still good viable music.

Even when ska was big news there was recognition that it wouldn't be forever. I remember one night playing at a venue with several thousand people...sitting back stage with Buck of Moon/Toasters and us discussing this very thing. We were saying take the money while you can because next week it's back to the small clubs with a few hundred bucks in your pocket...but the real fans with stick around. They have for over 30 years.
  12. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Ska is pretty big down in Melbourne, Australia. Everyone who doesn't live here says it's weird.
  13. Derio

Dec 6, 2005
    Saint George
    We have a ska band here in Utah that I've booked for a few shows... They seem to have lots of fans and seem to be quiet good. I don't think ska is dead, people can just take so much of it, ya know? =P
  14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Ska was never "alive" to begin with. It's a genre that holds limited appeal. Always have. Always will be.

It it fun to play though.
  15. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Manchester has a great Ska-scene. Move there.
  16. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    It's great to see so many comments! Even if ska isn't popular, it still has a place in the hearts of many people. The important thing is that, as mentioned before - it is very fun to play, and a great change from the normal stuff I end up playing.
    My main conern isn't really how well we'll go down with the audience, but really what venues are willing to take us on... I can't think of many places that could even fit 8 people on stage with all their instruments around here! Still, that's all part of the fun :bassist:

Only one person got the joke in the name though :smug: think about it!
  17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I love Bad Manners. I only got to see them live once, but it was an incredible show. Enjoy! I wish I could be there.
  18. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Please don't lump jazz in with jam band music.

I think ska will always be a fun style to listen to, but its time has passed in the mainstream.
  19. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Since I rarely venture to Manchester apart from Academy or Apollo gigs, care to elaborate?
  20. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    my roommate's mom is from Manchester...

sorry. Continue.