SKA man!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steelhead2, Feb 17, 2010.

1. yes i left Lynyrd,Lemmy,and several other rockers at the curb and have been cruising with the Skatalites man!:hyper:,i'm diggin' the reggae ska stuff!!

so i'm considering a 5 string(wouldn't hurt anyway to have one) and what sort of strings /tuning would be a starting point to reggae/rocksteady/ska with a 4-banger?

also would a tele RI like the Squire sunburst versions deliver a bit more thud,no make that THUD! due to pickup/P/U location?(just sold a 450 dollar flyrod and a strat copy on eBay so i'm thinking buy another bass quick before the wife finds out,set it up for skatalitin!!!:bassist:

ya man!:eek:

2. Tuning, BEADG. I like DR Hi beams, but those are very trebly stainless steel. You probably want some kind of nickel strings.

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The cool thing about ska is that you can absolutely anything you want.

Well, ONE of the cool things.

4. Checker1o1

Checker1o1

Jul 30, 2008
    Hamilton, On
    For ska/reggea i dig worned in D'addario chormes. They have clarity and thud. I also have them strung to a pbass.

5. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    +1

P-bass + Chromes + tone control at about 1/4 = thumpy ska goodness.

6. chromes on a p bass,of course i need to move up and onward ampwise from my practise amp(old TNT)no i mean the orig TNT 100,great to keep in the corner of a bodyshop and all that but not diverse enough,sold all my pedals off,and a buddy wants it(the TNT) to practise with so maybe i should(set the hook;)

anyway thanks folks i'm def. on lookout for a new amp/ cab or combo

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021