Ska players wich basses do u use???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jul 28, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Hey im entering the ska so i was interested in the gears you ska players use.
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im not a ska bass player (Used to be :) ) but most of the current ska bands use stingrays. Well, alot actually :)
  3. Tpu2

Oct 19, 2002
    The bass player in the OC Supertones uses a Fender Jazz. Now, I guess you could also argue what 'ska' really is, but I'd consider them ska.
  4. I would like to know what exactly ska is. What are some good ska bands/songs?
  5. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    i dont listen to ska much but i know that the band less than jake is ska, and I like them a lot. No doubt also used to be a ska band before they started playing more "pop" music. Also, the bassists in both of those bands play stingrays.
  6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    No doubt guy played a Yamaha for the longest time... At least when they were more ska then they are now, like when they first started... then for some reason I remember him haing a Fender....
  7. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I use a Fender Jazz Bass. But you can use anything.

The bassist from Reel Big Fish uses a stingray.

Some good ska bands are:
    The Skatalites
    The Toasters
    The Slackers
    The Gnome Liberators
  8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

my friend is in a ska band, his bassist uses somekinda jazz bass, i think was some fender ripoff imitation.
  9. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    The first band I was ever in was a ska band. I played my P-bass until my fingers bled. Although not very well :D Seems alot of "ska" players are using a Stingray but this could simply be a flavor of the month trend. I say play ska with whatever you are comfortable with. For me it was a P bass but your mileage may vary....
  10. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I play ska. I currently am digging the active bass sound (especially with piezo pickups) and I'm just using my Rick Turner. I do still love my Fender Jazz and it sounds great for ska.
  11. here's an idea for you, though it has already been tried. go fretless, it fits ska beautifully.
    you get whatever bass you can find with a nice mid range bark from a rear pickup and enough mwah to melt with the horns and you will find yourself a damn good ska bass.

listen to some Catch 22 (mainly Keasbey Nights) and some Streetlight Manifesto to see what what i'm talking about.
  12. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Reel Big Fish are cool.

Some Bob Marley stuff is considered ska (ska was a sub-genre of reggae but was later adopted as "punk").
  13. ok, where to start, first off, the guy from no doubt still plays a yamaha to my knowledge, less than jake is ska/punk, other good ska bands include the planet smashers, fishbone, the piestasters and the supertones

as far as what to use, use whatever gives u the tone u like, i personally shift between a fender p bass and a mid 60's semi-hollow

and i almost forgot, don't listen to any of the new stuff from reel big fish or catch 22 if you want to hear good ska, neither of them are that good any more, also the mighty mighty bosstones are worth a listen

and finally, reggae was a sub-genre of ska in jamaica in the 60's and 70's when it worked its way to england and the usa, punk bands began to adopt ska influences in the 70's and 80's but it wasn't until the 90's that ska/punk took shape
  14. jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    For newer "punk" ska, buck-o-nine is a pretty good example. Although some of their stuff is pretty weak.

Also, I'm probly wrong, but I always thought that the first wave of ska pre-dated ragae (sp). I can't remember where I got that from, but they were likely making it up. (someone who knows what they're talking about??)

Anyway, yeah, stingray's are really popular for it these days. Basically something with well defined highs. I used to use a fender Jazz for it and it fit perfectly. Of course whatever you feel like playing can be adapted usually.
  15. jucas is right, ska predates reggae as i mentioned before, and if u want a good chronicle of early ska pickup a copy of "The Trojan Story" on trojan records
  16. The Aquabats bassist uses a Stingray I think.
  17. What is Ska?!? I've heard bout it but never heard it :S
  18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Why you all keep telling "play ska with whatever you feel comfortable" thats not the question of the thread I asked for the gear that ska players in TB use.........
  19. screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    Word, Josh Ansley is a great bassist and the fretless gives keasbey nights a pretty unique sound, and i agree with grahambo420 that when the original line-up split they have really gone down hill. Does anyone know what bass he played on Keasbey Nights?

Stingrays seem to be pretty popular with a lot of bands, Voodoo Glow Skulls for example

But for proper ska (toots and the maytals/skatalites etc) IMO it depends more on EQ, amp choice and mutes. Something like a Motown setup?
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Five Iron Frenzy
    Less Than Jake (older stuff)
    Skankin' Pickle
    The Madness
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

Great to middlin' ska.

I see Stingrays and P basses, mostly.