Ska \ Punk players with a Jazz Bass, How's your pick tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    A lot of Ska \ Punk bands have bass players using either Jazz or Musicman basses. I've been satisfied with using a pick on a Stingray\Sterling but I'm feeling so so about picking with any type of Jazz bass.
    We're talking about stuff like...
    Mad Caddies, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Mighty Bosstones, New Found Glory, Five Iron Frenzy etc.

Some of these guys dont pick at all... maybe you dont? Whats the norm for this type of music?

Feel free to recommend a band with this style with your response! Even if its yours... I'll listen & drop the cash if I like it too.
  2. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    The norm is picking. If you want some examples, the last couple of Ataris CDs used Jazzes, and a Jazz was used blink-182's "Wendy Clear." Matt Freeman from Rancid also uses Jazz Basses.
  3. My playing is about 50% fingers, 40% pick, 10% slap. If the bass doesn't stand out in ska it sounds like mud, IMO. A musicman is perfect for the majority of the time. I play with a pick whenever i need it for extra speed, or if we're playing a cover and the song was originally written with one. I use a jazz when i want more bite out of the attack.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm pretty sure Mark uses P-bass pickups on his J-bass. Anyways, I suggest the Voodoo Glow Skulls; he's a big J-basser. Check out "The Band Geek Mafia" album, that bass sounds like fingers even though I know for a fact that he uses a pick, unlike other albums like "Symbolic."
  5. i'm pretty sure he uses P-basses. Definitely with a pick tho'.

The cat from Mighty Mighty Bosstones - No pick, & jazz bass

I personally have used my MIA jazz V with 2 different reggae/ska/punk type groups and have never needed a pick. Just feels better. I kinda like the sloppiness i get playing faster lines with my fingers over a pick. For pick tone Matt Freeman's P-Bass tone definitely rocks. Also, Fat Mike from NOFX uses a pick, but he uses Dano's most of the time from what i remember..
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    No, Matt Freeman DOES use a Jazz Bass. It was in the last Bass Player Magazine.
  7. Mad Caddies guy uses P-Basses and musicmans, i'm pretty sure LTJ guy uses Musicmans soley and matt freeman of rancid has recently switched to using both p and j basses. i used my p-bass for my first couple shows with the punk/ska band then the last show i played my j-bass with a pick and i didn;t like it i felt i was like abusing the bass so i kicked the pick to the ground for the rest of the show. anti-flags #2 was using a geddy lee when i saw them half with a pick half without. its all personal choice.
  8. welll excccuuuuuuuuse me.... being a fan of his for about 12 years and seeing him play numerous times had nothing to do with my comment... :meh:
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Matt Freeman used to play P's, now he plays J's. He may have switched back to playing P's, I haven't been paying attention to them lately. But from "...Out Come the Wolves" to s/t[2000], he definately used a J.

Brendan Kelly played J on the Lawrence Arms and (I think) Broadways albums. Mass Giorgini played J on Common Rider's two albums, and I think on the later Screeching Weasel albums he was on.

It depends on what kind of sound your band has, if there's room in the top frequencies for you, a J isn't a bad idea. But if there's a lot of stuff going on up there, you're better off sticking with the Stingray.
  10. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
  11. Strike 2 for me i guess :meh: i've seen rancid and MMbosstones, and never seen Matt use a Jazz or Joe use a Pick.. only in that other band Joe had where he was singing some stuff..
  12. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hey sorry guys, I wasn't trying to offend anyone! I was just trying to give helpful information! :hyper:

Everyone is happy... :cool:
  13. but of course! :D (i have bandmates to be pissed at if i'm upset with anything)
  14. I find that if you're using walking basslines with the ska,or really anything with clean ska riffs and a more complicated bassline it sounds a lot warmer and better defined with plucking, assuming you have a tone that isn't going to get super farty and you have decent technique with it. My band is a sort of rock ska hybrid and i use probably 75% picking and 25% plucking. I play a jazz deluxe and it's perfect. The picking sounds real good, I'm in love with the way the mids cut through. Just switch between the two based on what would sound better.
  15. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've seen Matt Freeman use P's, PJ's, and J's over the years. And yes, brendan used J's in the Broadways last time my old band walker played with them up in chicago back in the day. And Mass(who's a friend of mine) pretty much always used J's. I know he did have a stingray for awhile(mostly to be available for people to use over at sonic), but rarely ever used it himself. I actually bought my old 90's MIJ 75RI Fender Jazz from him back in like '95 and used it on all the Walker recordings after that(you can check it in my sig link) and i always use a pick
  16. You can use rays/jazzes/p's all will work for problem

the issues with ska is fast playing/fast attack and clean tones

Play with a pick or with fingers...attack the strings closer to the bridge for cleaner attack and just let her rip.
  17. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    I have an Ibanez Prestige now which sounds excellent through a GK 1001RB... AWFUL through an Aguilar DB750 by the way.
    With a pick I get a great Musicman tone playing around with the GK head but the finger style sucks.
    Enter the new craving for a Jazz bass & not the Stingray... I guess I'll use the Ibanez for pick stuff, Jazz for the fingers...
    Any better Jazz bass than the Fender Jazz Deluxe Active for 1100 by the way?
  18. Bass type is not important for's about technique...

notes-a-plenty...even and defined...many ska players go for the pick for definition...but not totally necessary...also a bit of compression is in order to even things out. And flatwounds are probably NOT a good choice for strings.