Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Paolo, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Is true that SKA music is old than REGGAE music ?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yes, it's true. My friends and I have debated this topic on numerous occasions, and I refused to believe it myself. Turns out, however, that ska did come first, and reggae was born out of ska. This is according to everything I've read, I'm sure someone will say I'm wrong, but yes, ska came first.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, ska preceded reggae.

taken from:

The evolution of ska music
  4. SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Ya mon!

And, what is often referred to as Ska in record stores is actually the latter mixing of punk and reggae. It's kinda confusing, no?
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, the music originally started in Jamaica, when people were listening to Jazz (bebop) records and wanted to put something of this into their indigenous musics - like Calypso. So - you get walking bass lines in original Ska in the latest 50s early 60s, but they are totally diatonic.

Reggae developed out of this - more herb man! ;) Then both were brought over to England with the large number of Jamaican immigrants. It was always popular with a hardcore minority and the second generation, fused their love of Ska/Reggae with the energy and political elements of Punk in Britain from about 1976.

So - I went to Ant-Racist marches and demonstrations in 76/77 and there would be an equal mix of Reggae and Punk bands on the bill. Eventually this turne dinto the "Black and White" bands who had people from bothe types of band, who formed a more aggressive political Ska - best exponents were the Specials.
  6. Guy

Apr 26, 2001
    Washington, DC
    The old joke is that Reggae was invented when the musicians got too stoned to play ska.