Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SKA :S?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by boofis, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Hey
    Can someone tell me what Ska music is? lol! I've heard of it but haven't heard it and I don't know what it is! Thanks to all! have a good one!
    Thanks
    Troy

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ska started in the 1950s in Jamaica, when sound systems started playing American Jazz records and local musicians were influenced and tried to play something similar - with horns and walking bass lines. Unlike Jazz however Ska is a diatonic music and although it has walking bass lines these are not swung and don't include chromatic passing tones or any notes outside the chord. The music is quite fast and the other distinctive thing about it are the "choppy" piano or chords played on the off beats.

Eventually the music was slowed down and simplified to become Reggae, which proved more of a popular export - but Ska has influenced a lot of musicians in Britain and the US.

Do a search for Ska round here - it has been discussed a lot in previous threads!

3. have you ever heard sublime? thats a good example of ska

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    welcome to the third wave....

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not too many Sublime songs are technically ska. Check out The Toasters, Spring Heeled Jack, even Reel Big Fish and the Bosstones. Those are good examples of Ska.

Basically it's a sped up version of reggae (even though ska came first, reggae is more popular). It's dance music.

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

I think it's safe to say the 3rd wave is over. Time for the 4th wave. I miss ska :(

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I loves da ska.

Skibbyskabbyskoobyskipskipskipskipskipskipskastyskaskaska.

Toots and the Maytals first two albums and the Skatalites are wonderful instances of original ska, with a few steps into rocksteady and occasional reggae. (Bob Marley and the Wailers were originally a ska group, they recorded their first single backed by the Skatalites, "Simmer down")

Bad Manners, the Specials, English Beat are good 2-tone/British ska bands, also the place where people started mixing it with punk (they were mixing everything with punk back then).

As far as real ska bands in the 90's go (read: not "punk with horns"). The Adjusters, Insteps King Django/Stubborn All-Stars, Skinnerbox, Toasters King Apparatus, Slackers and the Skalars are all top-notch music.

8. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Less Than Jake is pretty good. Hello Rockview and Losing Streak are great ska records.

Also there's a band on Hellcat Records called Mouthwash that's pretty good. They don't have any horns so it may be a good intro to ska.

9. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Reel Big Fish is a sweet ska band.

10. Theres a mexcian death metal ska band here in my town called Los Skarnales...really fun band to watch, even if I don't understand the vocals.

But I otherwise hate ska.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I also reccomend Five Iron Frenzy and Skankin' Pickle.

12. I'm all about ska, mustard plug and aquabats are mostly what I listen to. A very dumbed down explaination of ska is fast, upbeat punk music with a brass section and a clean git player as well as usually a distorted one.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the third wave is. Before that, it's more of an upbeat raggae type of thing.

14. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Rancid's ... And Out Come The Wolves has two or three pretty cool ska songs.

15. Streetlight Manefesto?

16. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    the Mad Caddies are my favorite ska band. Listen to "Last Breath." It's good stuff.

17. mad caddies are good

18. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    You might like Voodoo Glow Skulls, they're ska-core and pretty cool.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - as I explained, it's actually the other way round, so Ska came first in Jamaica and Reggae was slowed-down and stripped-out Ska!!